Match Report

Easington Colliery vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 30/3/2022
Easington Colliery 2, Billingham Synthonia 2
(Easington win 3-2 on penalties)

Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup 3rd Round

Easington Colliery: Steavans, Burlace (Cassidy), Thompson, Best, Ord, McGuiness, Leonard (Tapping), Watts, Pounder(C) (Pearn), Guy, Adamson. Unused Subs; Middleton, Ashton.
Billingham Synthonia: Greenwood, Carter, Ward, Garton(C), Drummond, Craggs, Ord (Howes), Banki (Hatton), Henderson, Chapman, Wilson. Unused Subs; Yaqub, Waters.

Synners made the trip to Easington in the 2nd Division Cup with the hosts winning on penalties.

Early chances for Easington saw Jack Pounder create space on the edge of the box and bring a save out of debutant Billingham keeper Decklan Greenwood. Ryan Leonard on the right then tried a shot from the edge of the box which went just past the near post

It was Synthonia who opened the scoring though, in the the 24th minute Jimmy Ward played a ball forward on the left for BEN HENDERSON who found the net past advancing keeper Aaron Steavans.

A chance for the home side saw Layton Watts fire just over the bar before they levelled the game up in the 30th minute as LIAM ADAMSON cut inside on the left and sent a great strike into the far side of the goal.

That was to be the last chance of the half and the sides went in at the break all-square.

Half-time: Easington Colliery 1, Synners 1

Synthonia threatened with Matty Wilson doing well on the left and found Henderson who was denied by Steavans with a smart save. Danny Chapman on the right then played the ball into the box where substitute Kurtis Howes saw a shot blocked.

Easington came back at Synners and a long punt up-field from Steavans in the 79th minute was latched on to by KEVIN PEARN to the left of goal and with Greenwood off his line, the Easington man sent a great strike over the keeper and in.

Billingham found an equaliser in the 85th minute as a Max Craggs corner on the right was met by LUKE DRUMMOND who volleyed home through a crowded six-yard box.

It was Synners who looked the more likely to grab a winner with chances late in the game; Ward saw a shot go just wide, then Chapman on the right saw his effort go just wide of the target.

The last chance of the game came to Billingham with Chapman crossing from the right for Craggs arriving late in the box who saw his shot just past the right hand post to leave the game to go to penalty kicks.

Full-time: Easington Colliery 2, Synners 2

Into penalties and after an Easington spot-kick went over the bar, they turned it around with three saves from keeper Steavans to send them into the semi-final.

Full-time Penalty Kicks: Easington Colliery 3, Synners 2

Referee: K McKitterick, Assistants: M Moore, P Yuill.

Attendance: 71