Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Darlington Railway Athletic

Match Report: 15/12/2021
Billingham Synthonia 3, Darlington Railway Athletic 2

Durham County FA Frank Pattison Challenge Cup 1st Round

Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Drummond, Kay, J Ward (Banki), Joseph, Miller, McNeill, Garton(C) (Craggs), Henderson, Brown, Howes. Unused Subs: Middleton, I Ward, Howard.
Darlington Railway Athletic: No team sheet given.

Synthonia left it late to progress to the next round of the county cup through a Kurtis Howes strike with a penalty shoot-out looming.

Billingham started on the front foot and early chances saw a Mason McNeill shot deflect wide and a Clark Kay shot on goal also deflect wide.

A free-kick for the visitors was straight at Synners keeper Jaan Yaqub before Luke Drummond found the net for Billingham, but his header home from a Jimmy Ward corner was ruled out for a foul.

Synthonia continued to look for an opener with debutant Declan Brown seeing a header wide and then Ward sending in a long range shot which was comfortable for the Darlington keeper.

It was Athletic who opened the scoring when in the 45th minute a Drummond back pass to Yaqub saw the keeper lose control of the ball and forward ISAM MOHAMAD managed to get a foot on the ball and send it crawling into the net.

Half-time: Synners 0, Darlington Railway Athletic 1

Billingham levelled the game up in the 51st minute when a back pass from an RA defender saw the keeper chest the ball down, but striker BEN HENDERSON pounced to take possession and find the net past a covering defender.

Synners soon went ahead with a second goal in the 53rd minute with substitute Max Craggs sending in a pinpoint cross from the left for DECLAN BROWN to head home.

Synthonia looked to further extend their advantage with McNeill doing well to create a shooting opportunity as he drifted in with the ball from the right; his shot going over. Henderson then had a shot at goal on the turn in the box which the keeper was behind to make a save.

Darlington advanced with Mohamad firing on goal from the right which Yaqub saved, however, the loose ball saw the keeper foul a forward leaving the Referee no option but to award a penalty kick which was fired in from DEE PARKER in the 57th minute.

The visitors created a few good chances to lead the game, but couldn't take advantage as shots went wide of the target and Yaqub tipping one effort over the bar.

Synthonia scored the winner in the 87th minute when, after a Kay ball into the box was cleared, KURTIS HOWES took possession and sent in a great strike from the edge of the box beyond the keeper and in.

Full-time: Synners 3, Darlington Railway Athletic 2

Referee: S Parnaby Assistants: C Draper, A Hewitt.

Attendance: 53