Match Report

Wythenshawe Town vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 11/12/2021
Wythenshawe Town 3, Billingham Synthonia 0

The Buildbase FA Vase 3rd Round

Wythenshawe Town: Martin, Dominic Smalley, Burton (Riley), Brotherton, Palinkas, Deane Smalley, Byrne, Hewitt, Leonard (Norton), Whyte (Wilkinson), Bryan(C). Unused Subs: Havern, Anghel, Salmon.
Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Miller, Kay, J Ward, Joseph, Rowbotham, McNeill, Garton(C), Henderson, Craggs, Howes. Unused Subs; Middleton, Fletcher, Graham.

Billingham travelled to Manchester to face Wythenshawe Town and exited this season's competition.

Wythenshawe threatened in the 5th minute with a shot from Harvey Whyte being blocked and then a shot wide from Whyte.

Another couple of shots on goal went wide from the hosts before they opened the scoring in the 26th minute as a corner from the left was headed out by Synners but only as far as MAX LEONARD who sent a low shot into the net.

Synthonia came close two minutes after the goal as Clark Kay sent a ball into Ben Henderson who shot over Wythenshawe keeper Oliver Martin, but was denied as the ball hit the cross-bar.

Synners advanced again with Mason McNeill to the right of goal in the box turning and shooting on goal which Martin saved. Max Craggs then shot from a free-kick from distance, which Martin saw all the way to collect.

Half-time: Wythenshawe Town 1, Synners 0

Synners threatened soon after the break and Henderson saw a shot wide before being denied as Martin smothered the ball at the feet of the Synthonia forward after a mix-up in the home defence. Kurtis Howes then shot from the right, but wide of the near post.

Billingham continued to look for a leveller as Craggs sent Henderson through on goal, the keeper off his line to again smother at the feet Henderson. Wythenshawe responded with a shot from the left which Billingham keeper Jaan Yaqub stopped.

The home side had a great chance to double their lead in the 66th minute with Brad Byrne in space in front of goal sending his shot just past the left hand post. Synners then forced four consecutive corners but were unable to force the ball home.

There was a long stoppage as Synthonia substitute and debutant Ryu Williamson, after a knee high challenge, had to be stretchered off the pitch; the restart seeing Wythenshawe have the free-kick!

Billingham continued to press, but a Wythenshawe breakaway saw them reduced to ten men as last defender Michael Joseph was adjudged to have brought down Leonard in the 84th minute.

The home side doubled their lead in the 87th minute when a corner from the left found DEANE SMALLEY at the back post who headed home.

Wythenshawe made sure of progression to the next round with a third goal in the 8th of 15 minutes of added-on time when after Yaqub collected a back-pass, DEANE SMALLEY fired in from ten yards out.

Full-time: Wythenshawe Town 3, Synners 0

Referee: T Elliott, Assistants:J Atkinson, D Hughes.

Attendance: 182