Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs West Auckland Town

Match Report: 20/11/2021
Billingham Synthonia 2, West Auckland Town 1

The Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Round

Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Miller, Kay, Garton (Howard), Joseph, Rowbotham(C), McNeill (Banki), J Ward, Henderson (Graham), Craggs, Howes. Unused Subs: Fletcher, I Ward, Snow.
West Auckland Town: Greenwood, Bennett, Lavery, Thompson, Brown(C), Potter (Cobain), Hegarty, Scott, Blinco, Mitchell, Bell (Horwood (Dowson)). Unused Subs; Wright, Fryatt, Harwood.

Billingham came from behind to progress in The FA Vase against 1st Division West Auckland Town

Half chances for both sides saw Synthonia's Foster Garton shoot over from distance and a West Auckland free-kick into the box seeing the ball diverted wide.

The visitors gained a free-kick in a shooting position which Adam Mitchell took control of with Synners keeper Jaan Yaqub saving. Billingham then came forward and after a Jimmy Ward shot was blocked, Mason McNeill could only shoot wide of the target.

West Auckland came close in the 37th minute with a quick move forward seeing Jordan Blinco go in on goal with Yaqub off his line to make a good save to deny the forward. From the right wing corner though, they opened the scoring as GARY BROWN got on the end of the ball to head in.

A minute after the goal and West threatened to double their advantage with Blinco again beating the offside to go in on goal; Yaqub again though made a great save to keep his side in it. Then a free-kick from substitute Evan Horwood went wide of the right hand post.

Synthonia advanced deep into five minutes of added-on time and a Max Craggs free-kick was cleared before Craggs was fouled as he latched onto the loose ball. This time MAX CRAGGS from the edge of the box to the right of goal, saw his free-kick through a crowd nestle into the bottom left corner of the net to level the tie up.

Half-time: Synners 1, West Auckland Town 1

Billingham were on the front foot after the restart and after a couple of half chances a Craggs corner from the right came to Clark Kay who stabbed the ball narrowly over. McNeill then played out of defence to Ben Henderson who played the ball in to Kurtis Howes; West keeper Decklan Greenwood saving at the feet of Howes.

Synners continued to ask questions of the visiting defence with a corner being cleared and Synners retaining possession as McNeill came in from the right to shoot over. Howes and Kay then combined on the left with the latter crossing to substitute John Howard who headed wide.

West Auckland responded with Liam Hegarty to the right of goal having a shot blocked by Kay. The resulting corner seeing a shot on goal which Yaqub was a match to as he got down to smother the ball.

Synthonia were back on the offensive with Howard winning the ball in an advanced position and playing to substitute Liam Graham. A West Auckland defender made a tackle but Howard was onto the loose ball to shoot on goal which Greenwood pushed past the post.

Billingham scored what proved to be the winner in the 81st minute as a Craggs cross from the right forced West to concede a corner which Craggs sent in from the left for JOSH ROWBOTHAM to head into the net.

The last ten minutes saw very little in the way of goal chances with an organised Synners defence limiting West Auckland to only a couple of long range shots which didn't trouble Yaqub.

Full-time: Synners 2, West Auckland Town 1

Referee: G Mann Assistants: R Brine, M Pearson.

Attendance: 130