Match Report

Birtley Town vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 16/4/2022
Birtley Town 0, Billingham Synthonia 3

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Birtley Town: Wilson, Holland, Pattinson, Honour(C), Harker, Scothern, Garrity (Baty), Garvey, Barwick, Tanoh (Reed), Chanayire (Murray). Unused Subs; Mordey, Morland.
Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Ward, Carter, Garton(C) (Bailey), Johnson, Drummond, Wilson, Craggs, Howes, Chapman (Henderson), Waters (Banki). Unused Subs; Hatton, Ord.

Synthonia travelled to Birtley knowing only a win would keep their slim play-off hopes alive and delivered by bringing home the points.

Billingham were on the front foot from the off and early chances saw Kurtis Howes shoot over and Luke Drummond head wide at the back post from a Max Craggs corner.

Synners opened the scoring after 17 minutes with MAX CRAGGS sending a free-kick from inside the centre circle sailing over the head of Birtley keeper Sam Wilson and into the net.

A Birtley Town shot following a corner went wide before Synthonia doubled their lead in the 21st minute. Matty Wilson played to MAX CRAGGS who again delivered a great strike from outside the penalty area which found the bottom left corner of the net beyond the diving Wilson.

Billingham continued to threaten with Wilson doing well to create space to cross for Howes who headed inches over the bar. Danny Chapman then intercepted the ball from a Birtley defender's pass, but saw his shot wide of the target.

Half-time: Birtley Town 0, Synners 2

Synners continued to pose a threat after the break with Craggs sending in a left-wing corner which saw Chapman have a shot saved on the goal-line from Wilson. Then Liam Waters from the loose ball ball saw his shot blocked by a Birtley defender.

Birtley came forward and a cross from the left was met by a volleyed shot from substitute Peter Murray, but wide of Jaan Yaqub's goal. Then a couple of great defensive blocks denied the hosts before a long range shot was stopped by Yaqub.

Synthonia added a third goal in the 59th minute with Joe Carter's ball forward seeing a defender's header back to goal intercepted by Howes who took the ball past the keeper before unselfishly squaring to DANNY CHAPMAN who fired in past a couple of covering defenders.

The home side were reduced to ten men in the 74th minute with Mark Pattinson receiving a second yellow card for an infringement with Foster Garton in the box which gave Synners a penalty, he was booked ten minutes earlier following a foul on Garton. Max Craggs stepped up to take the spot-kick, but Wilson got a good hand to his shot to make the save and deny him a hat-trick.

A shot from substitute Ben Henderson went well over for Synners and a shot from the edge of the box from Birtley went just wide to finish off the game.

Full-time: Birtley Town 0, Synners 3

Referee: R Kendall, Assistants: P Clayton, D Irving.

Attendance: 178