Match Report

Heaton Stannington vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 19/3/2022
Heaton Stannington 2, Billingham Synthonia 0

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Heaton Stannington: Regan, Stoddart, Stephenson, Kerr, Hall, Esdaille, Carr (Burn), Bailey(C) (Luke), McBryde, Holmes, Hopper (Proctor). Unused Subs: Howard, Hornsby).
Billingham Synthonia: McGrath, Garton(C), Kay, Bailey (Carter), Drummond, Johnson, Wilson (Hatton), Craggs, Henderson, Woodhouse, Waters (Moss). Unused Subs; J Gunn, Chapman.

Synthonia travelled to table toppers Heaton Stannington and left empty handed with a goal in each half for the hosts.

After the opening fifteen minutes Heaton Stannington advanced with a shot from Kevin Carr going wide of Synners debutant Liam McGrath's goal.

Midway through the half and both sides created chances as firstly another debutant for Billingham Liam Waters spread the play left to Ben Henderson who forced a stop out of keeper Daniel Regan. Stannington advanced a minute later with Carr again having a shot on goal which this time McGrath saved.

On the half hour Dean Holmes shot over for the home side and then a Max Craggs corner from Synners saw Clark Kay have a shot blocked on the goal-line.

Heaton Stannington opened the scoring in the 34th minute as LEE KERR created space to shoot from distance which took a deflection off a Synthonia defender to take the ball past McGrath and in.

There were late first half chances for both sides as Heaton's Liam McBryde brought a save out of McGrath and Billingham's Henderson with a shot on goal which was comfortable for Regan.

Half-time: Heaton Stannington 1, Synners 0

After the break and the first real chance came on the hour mark with Synners advancing and Kay crossing from the left for Matty Wilson who saw his volley strike the top of the cross-bar.

A Max Craggs free-kick found the head of Fred Woodhouse but his effort was well over the bar. Stannington then advanced through Leighton Hopper who shot just past the post.

Heaton Stannington doubled their lead from the penalty spot; Connor Johnson winning the ball but the Referee deemed unfairly. LEIGHTON HOPPER stepped up to convert the spot-kick.

Synthonia pressed to get back into the game, but Regan in the Stannington goal was rarely troubled. Stannington looked to extend the lead with Holmes sending in a volley just over the bar.

A late neck injury to Synthonia substitute Decklin Moss caused a lengthy stoppage as the game approached ninety minutes. After fifteen minutes delay the Referee called a finish to the game. Moss was thankfully cleared from hospital a few hours later.

Full-time: Heaton Stannington 2, Synners 0

Referee: D Carr, Assistants: J Harkess, J Nicholson.

Attendance: 392