Match Report

Tow Law Town vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 19/4/2022
Tow Law Town 2, Billingham Synthonia 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Tow Law Town: Orton, B Smith, Renshaw, Pearson, Milner, McKinnon(C), Goldsborough, Seymour, McAloon, Lake, Knowles. Subs; Atkinson, Gardiner, Richardson, H Smith, Bailey.
Billingham Synthonia: Greenwood, Ward, Carter, Garton(C) (Lamb), Drummond, Johnson (Hatton), Chapman, Bailey (Banki), Howes, Henderson, Wilson. Unused Subs; Ord, Yaqub.

Billingham's play-off hopes were ended at Tow Law with the hosts scoring twice in the last twenty minutes to take the points.

Synners started the game with attacking intention and after only two minutes Danny Chapman traded passes with Ben Henderson before firing over the bar. A few minutes later and Chapman saw sight of goal again but wide of the target

More chances came for Synthonia with Henderson sending in a long range shot which was dipping under the bar before ex-Synners keeper Tom Orton tipped over. From the Matty Wilson corner on the right Chapman ghosted in at the back post, but his shot lacked any power and Orton was able to gather.

Billingham found a way through with a goal in the 29th minute; firstly Wilson gained possession on the left, the hosts claiming a hand-ball and following some choice language aimed at the Referee from Ryan McKinnon he was sin binned and Synners awarded a free-kick. From the set-piece on the edge of the box, Jack Bailey rolled the ball to DANNY CHAPMAN who drilled home.

A header over the bar from a corner from the Tow Law was pretty much their only chance of the half before the game got disrupted with numerous fouls from the home side resulting in a couple of cautions.

Half-time: Tow Law Town 0, Synners 1

After the break and Synners continued to put the Lawyers under pressure and Wilson again won possession and threaded a ball through for Kurtis Howes to the left of goal who saw his shot past Orton, but inches wide of the far post.

A Henderson shot went over the bar and then some good midfield challenges kept Synthonia on the offensive with Chapman having a shot deflect wide.

After 70 minutes the game began to swing in favour of Tow Law as they created a couple of chances which saw a shot from a free-kick on the right stopped by keeper Decklan Greenwood and then a shot over the bar following a corner.

The hosts levelled the game up in the 74th minute with substitute Archie Gardiner being released on the left and he played across goal to the back post for LIAM GOLDSBOROUGH to fire in.

A shot from Howes was blocked by a Tow Law defender as Synners looked to re-gain the advantage, but the home side were still on top and scored what proved to be the winner in the 82nd minute. A soft free-kick was given by the Referee and Joel Pearson sent the ball into the box for KURT SEYMOUR to flick a headed ball goal-wards and into the net.

Late chances saw another free-kick into the box from Tow Law and a header over the bar. For Billingham, substitute Josh Hatton had a shot on goal which deflected kindly into the arms of Orton and then a corner from the right from Wilson was headed over by Luke Drummond.

Full-time: Tow Law Town 2, Synners 1

Referee: A Bailey, Assistants: C Kitson, P Youngson.

Attendance: 77