Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Carlisle City

Match Report: 22/1/2022
Billingham Synthonia 1, Carlisle City 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Miller, Kay, J Ward (Bailey), Johnson (Joseph), Drummond, Hardy, Garton(C), Howes, McNeill, Wilson. Unused Subs; Moss, H Gunn, Middleton.
Carlisle City: Murray, Kelly, Hartley, Bowman, Kirkup, Holt, Kerr (Studholme), Simpson(C), Irving, Seggie (Atkinson), Palmer (Johnstone). Unused Subs; Allison, Rooks.

Synners hosted Carlisle City and it was the visitors who took home the points with two goals in the second half to overturn a one-goal half-time deficit.

There was little in the way of good goal chances in the opening quarter of an hour and then both sides created as firstly a City shot went over and a Matty Wilson free-kick for Billingham went wide right.

Synthonia opened the scoring in the 25th minute with Kurtis Howes on the left playing across goal for MASON McNEILL to find the net from close range.

Billingham had chances to extend their lead with Foster Garton having a shot on goal which was comfortable for Carlisle keeper Craig Murray. Wilson then had another opportunity from a free-kick, but this time his shot went wide left.

The visitors also had a couple of chances with a shot from the right which was straight at Synners keeper Jaan Yaqub and then a header towards goal which which Yaqub gathered.

Half-time: Synners 1, Carlisle City 0

Carlisle City created a couple of half chances after the break with a shot from the right not really troubling Yaqub and then a shot from the left also seeing the Synthonia keeper come out on top.

Billingham responded with Chris Hardy jinking in the penalty area and seeing a shot deflect wide and then a Garton corner from the left finding Luke Drummond at the back post, but his header went wide of the target.

The visitors levelled the game up after 74 minutes with JORDAN PALMER finding the net with a shot from inside the box after a quick break.

Both sides had chances to take the advantage with Synners' Hardy shooting from the left which struck the left angle of post and cross-bar. For Carlisle, a forward got behind the defence but was denied by Yaqub who saved with an outstretched leg.

The winning goal for Carlisle came in the 81st minute with a corner from the left going to the back post for DAN KIRKUP to head home.

Full-time: Synners 1, Carlisle City 2

Referee: D Watson, Assistants: H Cairns, T Stannett.

Attendance: 70