Match Report

Washington vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 6/11/2021
Washington 2, Billingham Synthonia 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Washington: Mullen(C), Pearson, Johnson, Lilley, Gibbon, Hutchinson, Dobinson, Connolly, Chisholm, Kirkbride, Hanson. Subs: Lumsden, Hassanin, Burlace, Foster-Conley, Swallow.
Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Garton, Kay, Craggs, Bythway (Graham), Rowbotham(C), McNeill (Howes), Bailey (Fletcher), Henderson, Howard, Banks. Unused Subs; J Ward, I Ward.

Synners travelled to Wearside and left empty handed and down to ten men following a red card for John Howard.

An early move forward from Billingham saw Foster Garton shoot from the right which was confortable for Washington keeper Daniel Mullen.

Washington opened the scoring in the 15th minute as they won the ball in midfield and played forward to BRAD CHISHOLM who went round advancing Synners keeper Jaan Yaqub and found the net with his shot from the right.

A Max Craggs left wing corner found the head of Luke Bythway, but over the bar for Billingham. Washington then came forward with Chisholm doing well on the left and playing to Leo Kirkbride who shot wide of the target.

Chisholm again threatened for the hosts with his shot from the left being blocked by Bythway, then an Alex Dobinson free-kick from the left was headed towards goal where a close range effort from Washington saw Yaqub make the block.

Synthonia struggled to create any real openings in a frustrating first period. It was Washington who came closest to extending their lead before the break with Chisholm beating the offside on the right; Yaqub off his line quickly to make a good save from the shot.

Half-time: Washington 1, Synners 0

Billingham came out for the second half facing a strong wind which had picked up over the break and had penalty appeals ignored as substitute Kurtis Howes was bundled over in the box.

Ben Henderson and Ciaran Banks combined on the right for Synners with the latter seeing his cross from the right cleared as far as Craggs who could only see his shot from the edge of the box go over the bar.

A Craggs corner from the left saw a couple of close range shots blocked by Washington defenders, but it would be the hosts who doubled their advantage with a fluke goal in the 62nd minute as a ball in from the left came to BRAD CHISHOLM who couldn't get a shot off, but somehow got something on the ball which hit Yaqub and spun into the net.

Billngham were further up against it as they were reduced to ten men in the 66th minute with Howard receiving a second yellow card for remonstrating at an opposition player! His first caution was for a foul in the first half.

Synthonia found the net in the 77th minute with BEN HENDERSON on the edge of the box seeing his shot deflect off a defender past Mullen and in.

An Oscar Fletcher close range shot was blocked and a Henderson header went over the bar as Synners looked for a leveller, but Washington defended well in numbers to keep Billingham out and take the three points.

Full-time: Washington 2, Synners 1

Referee: D Hughes, Assistants: C Kitson, N Sherrat.

Attendance: 40