Match Report

Sunderland West End vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 22/9/2021
Sunderland West End 2, Billingham Synthonia 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Sunderland West End: Bussey(C), Norton, Moncur, Armstrong, Forster, Fowler, Herring, Charlton, Old (Alderson), Graydon, Munday (Fairley). Unused Subs: Morris, Peverley, Martin.
Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Mills, Kay, Banki, Miller, Rowbotham(C), McNeill, J Ward (Henderson), Chapman (Garton), Howard (Banks), Howes. Unused Subs; Bailey, Dixon.

Billingham's unbeaten run which had extended since the opening game of the season was ended with a defeat at Sunderland West End.

Synners made a dream start to the game as they opened the scoring in the 1st minute when after some great build up play on the right, Callum Banki played a ball across to the left for KURTIS HOWES to run onto and find the net with his shot.

The hosts had an opening when Synthonia lost possession in defence and Keith Graydon was able to get a shot off which Synners keeper Jaan Yaqub was behind to make the stop. Billingham then advanced and Banki sent in a dipping shot from distance, but over the cross-bar.

West End tied the game up in the 15th minute when the ball was played right to HARRY MUNDAY who floated the ball from the right angle of the box into the far side of the net beyond Yaqub.

Jimmy Ward brought Billingham forward again and he played right to Brad Mills who shot over. Mills then tried his luck with a free-kick to the left, but again West End keeper Neal Bussey was untroubled as the ball went over.

Sunderland advanced with a cross from the left seeing a header wide of the target. Then a ball over the top saw Lewis Charlton go through on goal; Yaqub off his line quickly to deny him with a block.

Mills cut in from the right for Synners and his shot was blocked by a defender. West End then created a couple of chances with two crosses from the right seeing a header on goal comfortably saved by Yaqub and a header just wide of the left hand post.

Half-time: Sunderland West End 1, Synners 1

After the break and Synthonia looked to gain the upper hand from the off with Mason McNeill driving forward only to see his shot charged down with John Howard shooting just past the post from the loose ball.

A Mills corner into the box saw big claims of a hand-ball from Billingham, but the Referee ignored those as Howes then saw a shot blocked by the home defence.

Synthonia continued to look for a second with Mills' corner from the right being headed over by skipper Josh Rowbotham. The hosts then threatened with a shot going into the side netting.

Again Billingham came forward with Howes from a central position shooting just wide of the left hand post. Minutes later and Howard shot on goal which Bussey was able to save.

More Synners chances followed but they were unable to make the breakthrough as firstly substitute Ben Henderson was denied by a Bussey save and then they were awarded a penalty kick in the 73rd minute after Howes was fouled. His spot-kick though struck the right hand post.

It was still all Synners as a cross from the right came to the back post where Howes shot on goal, but Bussey again saved his side with a good block. Then Banki played to Howes who had a shot blocked before regaining possession and seeing another penalty appeal waived away as his shot looked like it struck the arm of a defender.

It would be West End who claimed the three points though when in the 85th minute a KEITH GRAYDON free-kick from wide on the left sailed over everyone and went in off the right hand post.

Full-time: Sunderland West End 2, Synners 1

Referee: T Jukes, Assistants:P Lauder, A Tingly.

Attendance: 145