Match Report

Whitley Bay vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 11/9/2021
Whitley Bay 3, Billingham Synthonia 4

The Buildbase FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round

Whitley Bay: Bannon, Dick (Malone), Gaffney, Lama (M Weirs), Lowery(C), Taylor, Chanayire (McFarlane), J Weirs, Shanks, Ramsay, Coulson. Unused Sub: Jones.
Billingham Synthonia: Dixon, Mills, Kay, Banki, Bythway, Rowbotham(C), McNeill (Fletcher), J Ward (Robinson), Chapman, Howard (Henderson), Howes. Unused Subs; Yaqub, Joseph, Banks.

Synthonia travelled up to Whitley Bay and progressed to the next round of the Buildbase FA Vase in a 7-goal thriller at Hillheads Park.

Whitley Bay drew first blood when they opened the scoring in the 2nd minute with a move forward on the left seeing Synners keeper Dan Dixon save, but the ball came to ADAM SHANKS to shoot home.

Synthonia were soon level when after a foul on Kurtis Howes, BRAD MILLS sent his free-kick over the defensive wall and into the net leaving Bay keeper Chris Bannon no chance.

Synners advanced again with a John Howard shot going wide and then took the advantage with a goal in the 12th minute as Mason McNeill played the ball to Mills on the right who crossed to the far side for KURTIS HOWES to send in a great strike out of reach of Bannon and in.

A Mills free-kick from the right saw Luke Bythway head wide as they continued to ask questions of the Whitley defence. Bay though came back at Synners and levelled the game up in the 19th minute as Shanks played to MTCHELL RAMSAY to the left of goal who made no mistake with his shot home.

The hosts threatened with a Jason Chanayire cross from the right seeing a header on goal which Dixon saved; Ramsay then firing wide with his shot.

Billingham almost re-took the lead when Howes won possession and played in Danny Chapman; his shot past Bannon striking the right hand post. They did take the lead going in at the break though when in the 42nd minute KURTIS HOWES to the left of goal cutting inside and firing in.

Half-time: Whitley Bay 3, Synners 3

Whitley pressed in the early stages of the second half; a corner from the right saw a header over the bar and then a shot from inside the box was comfortably saved by Dixon.

The home side continued to press and a cross from the left came to a Bay player who shot narrowly over the bar.

Synthonia had to play the last quarter of an hour with ten men when having made all three substitutes, Matthew Robinson had to go off injured.

It was Billingham though who scored again when, in the 86th minute, Chapman was onto a ball out of defence on the right and crossed to substitute BEN HENDERSON who took the ball round the keeper to walk it into the net.

Whitley Bay weren't finished though and scored again to keep a pulsating cup-tie going with an 88th minute corner from the right being cleared as far as MATTY WEIRS to send a shot in through a crowded box.

Into seven minutes of added-on time and Whitley Bay claimed a penalty which was waved away from the Referee. Then a shot from the hosts hit the post; the loose ball shot over the bar. A couple of more attempts on goal were blocked by the Synners defence to see them into the next round.

Full-time: Whitley Bay 3, Synners 4

Referee: D Fittes, Assistants:A Broadbent, T Dutton.

Attendance: 422