Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Redcar Town

Match Report: 3/9/2021
Billingham Synthonia 0, Redcar Town 0

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Dixon, Miller, Kay (Robinson), Banki (Garton), Bythway, Rowbotham(C), Mills, Bailey, Banks (Henderson), McNeill, Howes. Unused Subs; J Ward, Chapman.
Redcar Town: Algie, Prest, Wheatley, Leyshon, Smuk, Bennett(C), Porritt, Weatherald, Williams, Bennions, Webster. Subs; Jenkinson, Thompson, Lee, Henry, Howes.

Billingham hosted Redcar Town for a Friday night fixtute and played out a goalless draw.

Redcar started the game well and created a couple of chances in the first ten minutes. A long range shot from John Leyshon went wide before a turn and shot from Carl Williams forced Synners keeper Dan Dixon to make a save.

Synthonia had an opening when Kurtis Howes latched onto a loose Redcar pass, but his shot was wide of the target. Then a Clark Kay cross from the left was met by a Ciaran Banks header, but also wide.

There were further chances for both sides around the half hour mark with Redcar's Sam Webster sending in a shot from outside the box which Dixon was able to comfortably save. For Synthonia a Brad Mills free-kick saw Redcar keeper Michael Algie stop, the loose ball cleared by his defence.

Redcar advanced quickly after a Synners attack broke down with the ball being played to Williams; his shot though, was cleared by Josh Rowbotham as far as Webster who sent his shot over the bar.

Synthonia had chances to go a goal up before the break with firstly Mason McNeill latching onto a ball forward to go in on goal, but his shot past the advancing Algie went just wide of the right hand upright. Then a Mills corner from the right found Rowbotham who could only send his header over the bar.

Half-time: Synners 0, Redcar Town 0

The first quarter of an hour after the restart saw few chances created, the closest being Howes charging down a clearance from Algie and crossing towards substitute Ben Henderson; the Redcar defence though, mopped up any danger.

Redcar advanced on the hour and gained a free-kick in a good position on the edge of the box which Dixon denied with a reaction save. Synthonia responded a couple of minutes later with Henderson sending Howes through on goal, but his shot was comfortable for Algie.

With 76 minutes on the clock Henderson beat the offside to advance on goal and played to Howes who brought a save out of Algie. The game still finely poised.

Synners pressed in the closing stages and Howes won possession to advance and looked like he was fouled in the box, nothing given by the Referee. The loose ball however, came to Henderson who shot on goal from the left which Algie denied with an outstretched leg. The danger wasn't over for Redcar though as the loose ball saw McNeill fire on goal which deflected wide off a Redcar defender to leave the game goalless.

Full-time: Synners 0, Redcar Town 0

Referee: C Steadman, Assistants: A Cook, H Websdale.

Attendance: 190