Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Esh Winning

Match Report: 1/9/2021
Billingham Synthonia 4, Esh Winning 0

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Garton(C), Kay, Banki (Fletcher), Bythway (J Ward), Miller, McNeill (Chapman), Bailey, Howard, Banks, Howes. Unused Subs; Henderson, McLean.
Esh Winning: Coulson, Goldsmith-Scott, Webster, McLeod, Swift, Waller, Finlay, Hall, Spencer, Johnson, McMahon(C). Subs; Soakell, Stoker, Allison, Richardson, Miley.

Synthonia welcomed Esh Winning to the Norton Sports complex for the fifth of six consecutive home games and continued a good run of form in a 4-0 win.

Billingham threatened in the early stages when skipper Foster Garton picked out Ciaran Banks who forced Esh keeper Andrew Coulson to push wide.

The opening goal for Synners came in the 12th minute from the penalty spot when, after KURTIS HOWES was fouled in the box, he stepped up to convert from twelve yards.

An Esh Winning shot on goal saw Billingham keeper Jaan Yaqub behind it to stop. Synthonia doubled their lead soon after with John Howard having a shot blocked to force a corner on the left. Banks sent the ball into the box where Brooklyn Miller had a header saved and following a bit of a scramble, CLARK KAY forced the ball over the goal line from close range in the 20th minute.

Synners were well on top at this stage and were playing some great football. They continued to create openings with the ever-threatening Banks having a cross-shot blocked. Then a poor ball out from the Esh defence came to Jack Bailey who played to Kurtis Howes; his shot charged down by a defender, Bailey picked up the loose ball, but could only shoot over the bar.

A third for Synthonia put them in a commanding lead when in the 36th minute some good build-up play saw the ball out to Garton on the right who threaded a ball through to KURTIS HOWES who timed his run perfectly to beat the offside and coolly went round the keeper to walk the ball in.

There were further chances for Synners before the break with Mason McNeill having a shot saved, Howes having a shot blocked by a defender and Miller having a shot blocked on the goal-line from a corner. The visitors also created a chance to pull one back, but Kyle Spencer's shot was never a problem for Yaqub.

Half-time: Synners 3, Esh Winning 0

The second half didn't carry as much pace as the first half, but Billingham still created chances as Howes had a shot blocked in a central position and then a Banks free-kick from the left came to Howes who could only direct the ball wide.

Esh Winning made a good break on the hour mark with Yaqub forced into a save from a shot from the edge of the penalty area. The resulting corner saw an Esh shot on goal blocked by the shoulder of Bailey on the goal line; penalty appeals from the visitors were in vain.

Synners were soon back on the offensive and a Banks free-kick into the box in the 66th minute was met by substitute Danny Chapman with a header just wide of the right hand post.

Esh Winning found the net after 72 minutes but after a quick breakaway, a ball across goal and a shot into the net, a raised offside flag chalked the goal off. They advanced again a few minutes later but a shot on goal was well blocked by Bailey.

Billingham added a fourth goal in the 84th minute with substitute Oscar Fletcher playing a ball forward for CIARAN BANKS to go through on goal and finish well.

The last chance of the game saw Fletcher trick his way past two defenders in the box to the left of goal, but he was denied by a reaction header from an Esh defender to send the ball wide.

Full-time: Synners 4, Esh Winning 0

Referee: M McMahon, Assistants: I Dodds, C Kitson.

Attendance: 102