Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Boldon Community Association

Match Report: 21/8/2021
Billingham Synthonia 3, Boldon Community Association 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Dixon, Gunn (McNeill), Kay, Banki, Miller, Garton(C), Mills, Robinson, Henderson (Gellatly), Banks (McLean), Howes. Unused Sub; Fletcher.
Boldon CA: Hunter, Neary, Hopper, Stout (Dykes), McBeth, A Williams, Graham(C), Wright, Taylor, Collins, Whitehead (Donnelly). Unused Subs; Williamson, T Williams, Lone.

Synthonia welcomed unbeaten Northern League new boys Boldon and took the points in a thrilling game.

The visitors looked bright from the first whistle and came close after 5 minutes when Levi Collins saw a shot deflect just over the bar.

It was Synners though who opened the scoring when in the 13th minute Ciaran Banks travelled with the ball in from the left and after seeing his shot from a tight angle saved, BEN HENDERSON fired home the loose ball.

Both sides created chances on the quarter hour with Henderson heading wide from a Matthew Robinson long throw-in for Billingham and Boldon's Collins shooting wide from the edge of the box.

Synthonia began to get on top and created good chances to extend their lead with firstly Callum Banki finding Kurtis Howes on the left who brought a near post save out of keeper Andrew Hunter. Then a right-wing cross from Joe Gunn picked out Banks who could only head wide.

Billingham did find the net to double their lead in the 29th minute with Howes playing to Henderson from the left who saw Hunter save; the loose ball was again picked up by a Synner though as CIARAN BANKS found the net with his shot.

Hunter was again called into action soon after the goal with good saves from both Brad Mills and Howes as Synners threatened to futher extend their lead.

It was Boldon who found the net to halve the deficit in the 33rd minute with Collins sending in a cross from the left for JAMIE WHITEHEAD who saw his initial effort hit the bar, but he adjusted to acrobatically overhead kick the rebound into the net.

There were further chances for Synthonia before the break in an action packed fist half with a Howes glancing header going wide from Gunn's cross. Then Howes won the ball on the left and played to Henderson who saw Hunter push his shot round the post.

Half-time: Synners 2, Boldon CA 1

The start to the second half wasn't quite as frantic and it wasn't until the hour mark when Boldon threatened with Synners keeper Dan Dixon making a save. Billingham reacted with substitute Mason McNeill sending in a stinger of a shot which Hunter was able to stop, the loose ball came to Howes who also saw the Boldon keeper save.

A Robinson free-kick into the danger area saw Howes have a shot blocked by a defender. Then Boldon threatened and found the net as they caught Synners napping in the 70th minute with a ball over the top for OSCAR TAYLOR who floated the ball over the advancing Dixon and in.

Synthonia didn't take long to go back ahead when in the 74th minute Howes played to Henderson on the right and his ball across goal was turned into his own net by Boldon defender ALEXANDER McBETH.

Both keepers were called into action as the game approached the last ten minutes with Hunter saving a Henderson shot from the right and Dixon behind a goal-bound shot from Boldon's Harvey Neary.

There were stil late chances at the end of an entertaining game as Henderson saw a shot hit the right hand upright and a free-kick from the visitors' Collins seeing the Synners wall do it's job and block the effort.

Full-time: Synners 3, Boldon CA 2

Referee: G Mann, Assistants: R Denton, A Cook.

Attendance: 76