Match Report

Willington vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 14/8/2021
Willington 0, Billingham Synthonia 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Willington: Robinson, Thirlaway, Davis, Shields, Seymour(C), Forster, Bailey (Cummings), Prudhoe, Jackson (Byrne), Bates (Taylor), Whitfield. Unused Subs: Hall, McEvoy.
Billingham Synthonia: Dixon, Mills (Bailey), Kay, Banki, Miller, Bythway, McNeill, Garton(C), Henderson (Banks), Chapman (Onions), Robinson. Unused Subs; Yaqub, Fletcher.

Billingham took all three points through a David Onions goal against ten-man Willington.

There were few goal chances created in the opening quarter of an hour although a couple of long range shots from Willington failed to trouble Synners keeper Dan Dixon.

Midway through the half and Willington's Joe Bates shot from the right which Dixon was able get down to. Then a free-kick from the hosts saw a header wide of the target.

Synthonia threatened with a Callum Banki looping shot which was caught on the line by home keeper Carl Robinson as the ball looked like it might creep in. Then a Danny Chapman shot was blocked by a defender as Synthonia began to create openings.

Billingham came close in the 34th minute when debutant Luke Bythway met a left wing corner with a header that crashed off the underside of the bar. Willington also came close from a left wing corner as the ball was floated to the far side where Aaron Jackson volleyed over the bar.

The last chance of the half came for Synners as Ben Henderson set up Matthew Robinson who never really caught his shot and the Willington keeper made a comfortable save.

Half-time: Willington 0, Synners 0

Billingham looked to make in-roads after the restart and came close when Jack Bailey teed up Mason McNeill to shoot from the edge of the box which deflected wide off a defender; claims of a handball waved away by the Referee.

Synners continued to press with Clark Kay having a shot deflect wide and Henderson heading wide following a couple of corners. More corners followed and Chapman sent a cross in from the left which McNeill stretched to get a shot on goal, but Robinson made a diving save to keep the game goal-less.

Willington were reduced to ten men in the 73rd minute when Wayne Whitfield received a second yellow card following a challenge on Bythway, his first caution in the first half also for a foul on Bythway.

After another McNeill shot was saved by the keeper, Synthonia scored what proved to be the winner in the 84th minute as Ciaran Banks played into substitute DAVID ONIONS who looped a shot over Robinson and in.

Full-time: Willington 0, Synners 1

Referee: T Craig, Assistants: C Kitson, J Foster.

Attendance: 74