Match Report

Blyth Town vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 11/8/2021
Blyth Town 1, Billingham Synthonia 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Blyth Town: Corkhill, Hodgson, J Gibson, Iveson(C), S Gibson, Wade, Uddgren, Lowery (Shanley), Lazzari (Fennell), Howard, Brannen. Unused Subs: Glass, Ditchburn, Elliott.
Billingham Synthonia: Yaqub, Gunn (Chapman), Kay, Banki, Miller, Rowbotham(C), Banks (Gellatly), Garton, Henderson, McNeill (Fletcher), Howes. Unused Subs; Crainey, Dixon.

Synners left it late again, this time to claim a point away at Blyth Town.

After an early Blyth free-kick was stopped by Synners keeper Jann Yaqub, Billingham created openings with Joe Gunn crossing from the right to Ben Henderson who headed wide. Kurtis Howes from the left then sent in a shot from a tight angle which Blyth keeper Callum Corkhill stopped with an outstretched leg.

Synthonia continued to create openings and after 10 minutes Howes saw a shot blocked before Foster Garton shot wide of the target.

The home side threatened midway through the half with a shot on goal from the left of the box which was comfortable for Yaqub. Synners responded with Mason McNeill making a run into the box, but he dragged his shot wide.

After a header went wide and a Kieran Brannen shot also wide for Blyth, they opened the scoring in the 44th minute with KARL LAZZARI making a run with the ball into the box and saw his shot past Yaqub and in.

Half-time: Blyth Town 1, Synners 0

The hosts started the second period the better and in the 48th minute Lazzari picked out Brannen to the left of goal; his shot though, straight at Yaqub. Two minutes later and they were denied when a sweet volleyed shot from the edge of the penalty area struck the cross-bar.

McNeill threatened for Synners, but was wide of the target with his shot. Then a Howes free-kick on goal was well saved by Corkhill as the visitors looked to get back into the game.

Blyth always looked like they could extend the lead and Evan Howard created space to shoot in a central position, Yaqub able to get his body behind the shot and save. Then a loose Billingham pass in the box saw a Blyth player shoot wide of the far post from the right.

As the minutes ticked by, a Synthonia corner from the left saw Josh Rowbotham head wide at the back post. The equaliser came in the 92nd minute when Garton's cross from the right was headed into the danger area from Rowbotham to CALLUM BANKI who guided his header past a scrambling Corkhill and in to give Synners a point.

Full-time: Blyth Town 1, Synners 1

Referee: C Atkins, Assistants: A Broadbent, P Clayton.

Attendance: 213