Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Washington

Match Report: 4/8/2021
Billingham Synthonia 6, Washington 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Dixon, Gunn, Kay, Banki (Fletcher), Miller, Rowbotham(C), McNeill, Garton (Crainey), Henderson, Chapman (Banks), Howes. Unused Subs; Bailey, Yaqub.
Washington: Mullen, Gibbon, Lumsden, Riley, Hutchinson(C), Haley (Horsfall), Dobinson, Broomfield, Chisholm, Hanson (Pearson), Johnson. Unused Subs; Nugent, Lilley.

Synners kick started their season as they hit Washington for six, including a hat-trick for debutant Ben Henderson.

Billingham started the game on the front foot and saw early shots from Danny Chapman and Foster Garton, both though, were wide of the target.

Synthonia continued to press and an 11th minute Callum Banki shot from the left angle of the box went narrowly over the bar. Washington responded with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area which Synners keeper Dan Dixon comfortably saved.

More half chances followed for Synthonia, but they had to wait until the 39th minute to go ahead when KURTIS HOWES made a bursting run into the box from the left and picked out the far corner of the net with his shot.

There were chances for Billingham to extend their lead as half-time approached with Mason McNeill on the right playing inside to Banki whos saw his shot pushed wide by Washington keeper Daniel Mullen. Then Garton shot from a wide left position which went just past the far post.

Half-time: Synners 1, Washington 0

After an early Chapman header struck the top of the cross-bar, Synners were again denied by the frame of the goal when Howes took teh ball past the keeper to the right of goal but saw his shot from an acute angle hit the foot of the near post.

A Washington attack broke down after hopeful appeals for a handball were waved away and Billingham countered with Henderson making a strong run on goal only to see Mullen save, the loose ball came to Chapman, but his shot was blocked by a defender.

A second goal for Synthonia came in the 52nd minute when Garton played a perfectly weighted ball through to KURTIS HOWES to the left of goal who guided his shot past Mullen and in.

A minute later and it was three as Chapman played in BEN HENDERSON who beat the offside to go in on goal and after his initial shot saw a half save from the keeper, the striker continued his run to shepherd the ball over the line.

Synners continued a rampant period of the game with a fourth in the 57th minute when a Chapman corner from the left to the far side was met by a Clark Kent header back across goal for JOSH ROWBOTHAM to head home. This was soon followed by a fifth goal when BEN HENDERSON ran through on goal on the hour and finished with aplomb as he guided his shot in past the advancing Mullen.

There was no let up from the hosts with substitute Ciaren Banks making a strong run forward only to be brought down. The resulting free-kick from substitute Oscar Fletcher had Mullen beaten, but the ball came crashing back off the cross-bar.

A sixth from Billingham came on 69 minutes as Howes threaded the ball through to BEN HENDERSON to the left of goal who again showed great composure to stroke home a left-footed shot into the far corner of the net for his hat-trick.

The visitors netted a consolation goal in the 87th minute with substitute CHRIS PEARSON receiving the ball to the left of goal and his shot found the net despite Dixon getting a hand on the ball.

Full-time: Synners 6, Washington 1

Referee: R Rowe, Assistants: S Lyons, P Yuill.

Attendance: 72