Match Report

Carlisle City vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 31/7/2021
Carlisle City 4, Billingham Synthonia 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Carlisle City: Murray, Olsen, Hartley, Bowman, Kirkup, Holt (Allison), Irvine (Dixon), Simpson(C), Palmer (Johnstone), Atkinson, Studholme. Unused Subs: Seggie, Shiel.
Billingham Synthonia: Dixon, Garton, Robinson (Fletcher), Banki (Onions), Kay, Rowbotham(C), McNeill, Bailey, Chapman (Banks), Craggs, Howes. Unused Subs; Gunn, Yaqub.

Synthonia travelled to Cumbria to open their 2021/22 season but lost out against ten men Carlisle City.

Early Synners chances saw debutant Callum Banki shoot over from outside the penalty area and Danny Chapman with a chance, but could only shoot tamely at City keeper Craig Murray.

It was the home side who opened the scoring when, in the 4th minute, a ball played to the right was pulled back for SAMUEL JACKSON who made no mistake from a few yards out.

Carlisle doubled their lead in the 7th minute when a long ball into the box dropped over the head of Synners defender Clark Kay for DANIEL KIRKUP to prod home first time.

Kurtis Howes looked to get Billingham back in the game, but his shot from the left was blocked. City then threatened again with a ball from the right played inside, but the forward saw his shot strike the right hand post.

Carlisle were reduced to ten men when in the 41st minute Kieron Olsen was shown a straight red for a lunging challenge on Matthew Robinson.

Half-time: Carlisle City 2, Synners 0

The Cumbrians extended their advantage within a minute of the restart when a Samuel Atkinson ball from the right saw JORDAN PALMER stoop to head home.

Billingham tried to get back into the game as Kay saw a shot blocked on the goal-line before Mason McNeill shot wide with the loose ball.

A breakthrough for Synthonia came in the 54th minute when Max Craggs picked out Chapman in a central area and he played left to KURTIS HOWES who cut inside a defender before finding the net with his shot.

A few minutes after the goal, Kay won the ball and played to Howes on the left who made a run into the box and picked out Chapman who could only shoot wide of the target.

A Foster Garton cross from the right forced Murray to tip over before City had a similar effort when a long ball forward was creeping in before Synners keeper Dan Dixon brilliantly tipped over the bar.

Synthonia were back in the game in the 75th minute when Howes made a run into the box from the left and was fouled by a defender. KURTIS HOWES stepped up to convert from the spot.

Billingham pushed for a leveller and Howes again threatened from the left as he drifted inside to get a shot off which was straight at Murray. Josh Rowbotham then headed on goal from a Craggs corner, again straight at Murray.

It was Carlisle though who sealed the points with a fourth goal in the 84th minute when a ball from the right across goal picked out substitute NATHAN JOHNSTONE to fire in.

Full-time: Carlisle City 4, Synners 2

Referee: J Davison, Assistants: A Whitfield, B Whitfield.

Attendance: 81