Match Report

Bishop Auckland vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 19/9/2020
Bishop Auckland 1, Billingham Synthonia 5

Buildbase FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round

Bishop Auckland: Liversedge, Robinson (Cooper), Goldsborough (Regan), Potter, Summers, Davis, Connor (C), Brownless (Martin), Hutchinson, Munro, Hogan. Unused Subs: McKellan, Winn.
Billingham Synthonia: Dawson, Johnson (Rowe), S Howes, Crainey (Croft), Bielby, Bailey, Garton, Scaife-Wheatley (C), Chapman (Gnaglo), Jackson, K Howes. Unused Subs; Ward, Dixon.

Synthonia progressed in the FA Vase with a convincing away performance away to Bishop Auckland.

Billingham signalled their intent with early chances as Danny Chapman showed strength on the right and found Ben Jackson with a ball inside; Jackson shooting just wide. Moments later and a Foster Garton cross to Joe Scaife-Wheatley saw him head over, this was followed by a Kurtis Howes shot from the left which went just past the far post.

Synners soon opened the scoring when, in the 8th minute, a Scaife-Wheatley corner from the left came to defender CONNOR JOHNSON who fired in.

In the 12th minute a Chapman shot from the edge of the box saw Bishops keeper Nick Liversedge tip over; the resulting corner though saw Scaife-Wheatley again send in a precision cross, this time to the far side, which Johnson headed back across for BEN BIELBY to find the back of the net through a crowd.

It was an explosive start for Synners, but there was no let up for Bishops as just after a quarter of an hour gone, Scaife-Wheatley shot just over and then Bielby glanced a header just wide.

A third goal for Billingham came in the 37th minute to cap off a fine first half for the visitors with Scaife-Wheatley again providing from the left, a free-kick, which DANNY CHAPMAN got on the end of to glance a header past Liversedge and in.

Half-time: Bishop Auckland 0, Synners 3

Bishop Auckland pulled a goal back from the penalty spot in the 57th minute after Garton was adjudged to have pulled back a forward; CRAIG HUTCHINSON converting the spot-kick.

Synthonia were threatening again though with Scaife-Wheatley picking out Jackson on the left who saw his shot blocked. BEN JACKSON wasn't to be denied though when in the 74th minute he weaved past a couple of defenders on the left before arrowing a shot just inside the far post past the diving Liversedge.

Synners wrapped up the scoring with a fifth in the 83rd minute when, after Jackson was fouled in the box on the left bye-line; KURTIS HOWES stepped up to find the net from the penalty spot to ensure a spot in the next round and a trip to Newton Aycliffe.

Full-time: Bishop Auckland 1, Synners 5

Referee: D Watson, Assistants: S Towe, C Donnelly.

Attendance: 237