Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Jarrow

Match Report: 24/10/2020
Billingham Synthonia 2, Jarrow 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Dawson, Redman, S Howes, Bielby (Hillerby), Bailey, Morrison, Garton, Scaife-Wheatley (C), Wainwright (Wilson), Jackson (Summers), K Howes. Unused Sub; Johnson.
Jarrow: Wells, Toward (Donnelly), Gray, Little, Chris Smith, Allen (C) (McCall), Malley (D Smith), Kerr, Lennox, Callum Smith, Shaw. Unused Subs; Hubery, Wilson.

Synthonia ground out the three points against a tough Jarrow side in a narrow 2-1 win.

The first 15 minutes of the game saw Synners pressing the visitors, but little in the way of goal chances were created against a stubborn Jarrow defence.

The visitors created the first meaningful scoring opportunity when in the 18th minute Adam Lennox saw sight of goal, but sent his shot wide of the target.

Billingham looked to find a breakthrough when a ball forward to Kurtis Howes saw him take the ball past the keeper and looked to see home into an empty net before being brought down by defender Chris Smith, Referee Mr Jinks having no option but point to the spot with Smith receiving a caution. KURTIS HOWES stepped up to net his 13th goal of the season in the 26th minute.

Synners doubled their lead after 34 minutes when a Joe Scaife-Wheatley free-kick from the left was defended, but the ball came to BEN BIELBY who created half a yard for himself before firing into the bottom right corner of the net.

Jarrow came close before the break as Callum Smith shot on goal which Synners keeper James Dawson kept out with an outstretched leg.

Half-time: Synners 2, Jarrow 0

Jarrow halved the deficit with a goal in the 49th minute with GARY SHAW from the left firing into the far corner of the net.

The game became scrappy on a pitch getting heavier by the rain as the afternoon wore on. Both sides struggled to create any meaningful chances. Jarrow were pressing for the equaliser, but the Billingham defence stood up well.

The visitor's were reduced to ten men in the 87th minute when Callum Smith received a second yellow card following a late challenge on Kurtis Howes.

Full-time: Synners 2, Jarrow 1

Referee: C Jinks, Assistants: L Cook, T Phillips.

Attendance: 82