Match Report

Crook Town vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 26/9/2020
Crook Town 2, Billingham Synthonia 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Crook Town: Makepeace, Crossen, Gavin (C), Hillerby (Maddison), Elgie, Myers, Johnston, Hume (Eltringham), Tumilty, Nicholson, Holliday (Kent). Unused Subs: Verity, Wilson.
Billingham Synthonia: Dawson, Johnson, S Howes, Bielby (Croft), Rowe, Bailey, Morrison, Scaife-Wheatley (C), Chapman, Jackson, Gnaglo (Ward). Unused Subs; Crainey, Dixon.

Billingham had to settle for a point away at Crook Town despite being two goals up.

It was Crook who started the game better and they came close in the 11th minute when Jamie Tumilty went through on goal, but was thwarted by Synners keeper James Dawson who was off his line quickly and made a good stop. Synners responded a couple of minutes later with James Rowe having a shot from the edge of the penalty area which went wide.

The home side continued to look the brighter as a 20th minute Tumilty looping shot on goal looked to be heading in before Dawson was able to track back and claw the ball away on the goal line.

It was Synthonia who opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the 29th minute when a ball into the box was blocked by the hand of a Crook defender. DANNY CHAPMAN stepped up to convert the resulting penalty kick.

Half-time: Crook Town 0, Synners 1

Billingham added a second goal in the 64th minute despite Crook continuing to look the more dangerous side. A Joe Scaife-Wheatley free-kick from wide on the right was met by an IAN WARD header to the right of the net beyond home keeper Ronan Makepeace.

Crook Town halved the deficit in the 73rd minute when, after Synners couldn't clear their lines from a corner, ex-Synner MATT CROSSEN fired home through a crowd in the box.

Crook continued to press and substitute Daniel Kent saw his sweet strike on goal have Dawson beaten before the ball crashed off the cross-bar. A few minutes later and Tom Gavin had a shot on goal which Dawson was behind to make the save.

They found a leveller in the 88th minute as a Gavin ball in from the right found JAMIE TUMILTY at the back post who headed home into the net.

Billingham were reduced to ten men in added-on time when following a skirmish, Danny Chapman received his second yellow of the afternoon, his first was for a foul in the first half.

The hosts almost took all three points as deep into stoppage time, Kent again shot on goal, but this time saw his shot strike the post.

Full-time: Crook Town 2, Synners 2

Referee: E Cutting, Assistants: J Dooley, R Morgan.

Attendance: 150