Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Wolviston

Match Report 18/9/19
Billingham Synthonia 5, Wolviston 2

Durham County Challenge Cup Preliminary Round

Billingham Synthonia: Heslin, Garton, Dobie, Smith (Boyle), Bashir, Cobain, Dunn (Wilson), O'Connor (Dickson), Slater, Bruton. Unused subs: Orton, Rafiq.
Wolviston: Hudson, Joyce, Armstrong, Lilley, Wilson, Chambers, Bayes, Stott, Sims (McGee), Morris, Ryan (Howe). Unused Subs: Johnson, Allison, Hebb.

Synners came up against Wearside outfit Wolviston in the Durham Challenge Cup. The home side were be looking to show their dominance against the team who play their football in the Wearside League. This game also marks the first competitive meeting between the two clubs.

Synners almost got off to a quick start when Foster Garton played a long Crossfield ball from his own half that sailed over the defenders head and dropped perfectly for Slater. The touch from the attacker was poor as the ball got away from him and the keeper was out to gather.

It wasn't long before BRANDON SLATER made up for the missed opportunity. The number 10 took it through a defenders legs before running towards the edge of the penalty area. He continued to take it past a couple more Wolviston players before dinking it over the keeper to make it 1-0 Synners. Synners 1, 0 Wolviston.

A rare away attack came from a long ball that was misjudged by Bashir. Wolviston's Mark Sims was alert and carried the ball into the area, but his effort was blocked by Cobain who got back immediately to mute the attack.

Alex Bruton came agonisingly close to getting a second after some good link up play between himself and Josh Smith. Bruton hit a curling effort from the edge of the area which looked like it was going to nestle in the far corner. However, the ball hit the inside of the post and rolled across the 6 yard box, just staying on the wrong side of the goal line. The ball eventually rolled out for a goal kick and the attack came to nothing.

In the 35th minute SLATER made it 2-0. After receiving the ball on the edge of the area, he showed good footwork and fired a quick, well placed effort into the top right corner of the goal. The keeper didn't stand much chance of saving the effort and Slater got his second goal of the game. Synners 2, 0 Wolviston.

It wasn't long before SLATER got his inevitable hat-trick. In the 39th minute Slater once again was on the receiving end of a through-ball and found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper. His initial effort to hit it over the keeper was saved, but Slats ran onto the rebound to make sure it found the back of the net. Synners 3, 0 Wolviston.

It was almost a perfect half for Synners, that was until Wolviston got a foot-hold back into the game before half time. After restricting the away side to very few chances, a well-placed cross by Josh Chambers was hit home on the volley by MARK SIMS. The striker fired it home from around 8 yards and it give the away team hope as they went in at the break. Synners 3, 1 Wolviston.

Half-time: Synners 3, Wolviston 1

The second half began with an early chance for Wolviston when the ball was puled back to Mark Lilley on the edge of the Synners box, who's effort at goal was blocked on the line by Nathan Cobain. The goal before half time had clearly grown belief among the away side.

The morale of the away side soon took a hit when a great cross from Bruton was headed down by Smith who assisted A STRIKER for his first goal of the game. The striker played the ball over the keeper, and the goal came from a great team move between the three players. Synners 4, 1 Wolviston.

In the 66th minute Wolviston grabbed themselves another goal when JAKE STOTT jumped high to head home after the ball was whipped into the area. The away side still had a mountain to climb in terms of getting themselves back into the game, but they showed how clinical they were when given an opportunity. Synners 4, 2 Wolviston.

A heart in mouth moment for Synners when Mikey McGee appeared to have been clearly brought down in the box. The referee blew his whistle, with everyone in the ground believing he was pointing for a penalty. However after a few delayed moments, the referee eventually awarded an indirect freekick to Synners as the linesman had flagged for offside previous to the challenge.

The second half was end-to-end with both teams creating opportunities. Synners created chances through Matthew Wilson and Alex Bruton, with the attackers creating a two-on-one in the late stages of the half. Wilson squared the ball to Bruton but his first touch wasn't great and the keeper got down to save.

Substitute DANNY BOYLE grabbed a 5th Synners goal just before the final whistle. Bruton orchestrated the goal, as he played the ball across the 6 yard box for Boyle to pass home easily. The goal rounded off an entertaining game as Synners came out victorious in the first competitive derby between the two sides. Synners 5, 2 Wolviston.

Full-time: Synners 5, Wolviston 2

Referee: Mr T Jukes, Assistants: M Gale, J Dredge.

Attendance: 123

by James McDonald