Match Report

Seaham Red Star vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 15/10/19
Seaham Red Star 2, Billingham Synthonia 1

Brooks Mileson Memorial Northern League Cup Group A

Seaham Red Star: Steavens, Young, Hailes, Gardiner, Gillesphy, Tumilty, Cahill-Taylor, Wade, Wilson, McRoberts (C), (Turns), Coulson. Unused subs: Price, Lawson, Dow, Bannon.
Billingham Synthonia: Heslin, Nyamayaro, Gill, Brynn (Boyle), Cobain, Joseph (C), Gowan (Bligh), O'Connor, Smith (Fariq), Dunn. Unused Subs: Orton, Sakouvogui.

In the final game of the league cup group stage, Synners travelled to Seaham for what was sure to be a testing game against the division one side. This game proved to be an opportunity for some of the younger players in the academy to try and make a positive impression against a tough opposition.

Seaham took an early lead inside the 1st minute after SEAN MCROBERTS crossed in a freekick from the left that deceived everyone and ended up in the back of the net. The young Synners squad were tested from the start and would have to demonstrate strong character and compose themselves. Seaham Redstar 1-0 Synners.

Moments after taking the lead Dan Wilson tried an effort from just outside the area but Nathan Cobain was there to make an impressive block. Wilson had support running either side of him but decided to take the opportunity on himself.

Another promising attack began after Nyamayaro played a high ball down the line to Will Gowan who carried the ball down the wing before hitting a cross into the penalty area. The ball was cleared by the Seaham defence to keep the score at 1-0.

Seaham came close to taking a 2 goal lead from a freekick. Michael Joseph clearly bringing down Dan Wilson resulted in him being issued a yellow card. The freekick was hit by Sean McRoberts who cannoned his effort off the crossbar from the edge of the box. The shot looked like it was sailing past Heslin but the frame of the goal kept the deficit to one.

Synners had a late chance in the 42nd minute after Josh Smith played a ball to the striker just outside the box. He had time to compose himself and hit a shot to the keepers left, but Steavens was equal to the effort and made a save. From that, a Seaham chance was created and Heslin was making an equally fine stop down the other end of the pitch. Synners were brave and played with every intention of testing Seaham. The young team were strong and moved the ball well, competing with the home side in every area of the pitch.

Half-time: Seaham Red Star 1, Synners 0

It was Seaham who began on the front foot once again, creating an early chance through Scott Young who spotted the run of Dan Wilson and played what appeared the be a perfect ball into the area. The striker was on the stretch but couldn't make a connection.

In the 69th minute RICHARD COULSON put Seaham 2-0 up after receiving a throw from the left hand side. The player turned on the ball before carrying it into the area and hitting a low hard shot that travelled through bodies and left Heslin with little chance of saving. Seaham Redstar 2-0 Synners.

The last 20 minutes saw Synners ramp up their game, and finish the night on the stronger foot to crown off a very impressive performance. Bligh was introduced from the bench and made a convincing run avoiding challenges from three Seaham players before hitting a shot from long distance that was unfortunate to go over the bar.

Synners won a corner which was played short to Dom O'Connor. The midfielder played a short pass across the box to TOM BLIGH who struck the ball from the edge of the area that flew in off the right post. Synners puled a goal back with 15 minutes of regular time to play. Seaham Redstar 2-1 Synners.

Synners continued to apply pressure with a number of shots coming from outside the box, but were all testing the Seaham goalkeeper. Danny Boyle saw a late opening and decided to try his luck from distance but once again the keeper was down to make the save.

Synners were inches away from getting the equaliser after a striker was able to compose himself on the left side of the area before placing an effort into the far corner. The ball hit off the face of the post and the ball was cleared. It was a head in hands moment for Synners as they almost grabbed a second in the 86th minute.

The score remained 2-1 with Synners coming agonisingly close to getting a late equaliser. The focus now solely on Saturdays game against Jarrow in the league and Synners will be feeling confident after this performance.

Full-time: Seaham Red Star 2, Synners 1

Referee: Mr C Hatten, Assistants: C Ford, R Morris.

Attendance: 62

by James McDonald