Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs North Shields

Match Report 2/10/19
Billingham Synthonia 0, North Shields 6

Brooks Mileson Memorial Northern League Cup Group A

Billingham Synthonia: Heslin, Popple, Dobie (Wilson), O'Connor (Smith), Bashir, Cobain, Bligh (Bruton), Dickson, Boyle, Slater. Unused Subs; Dunn, Rafiq.
North Shields: Purvis, Christensen, McDonald, Ormston (Hall), Williams (New), Buchanan, Salmon (Jacques), Cunningham, Campbell, Carr (c), Robinson. Unused Subs; Patton, Cassidy.

It was back to League Cup action on Wednesday night when Synners hosted division one side North Shields. North Shields were sitting top of the group stage coming into the game and looked to extend their gap at the top.

The away side got off to a fast start with some good passing and early attacks. Synners defence came under a lot of pressure early on and Shields broke the deadlock in just the 4th minute. A short corner was played to PAUL ROBINSON who carried the ball into the box and hit a shot into the top left corner after taking on a couple of defenders. Synners 0, 1 North Shields.

North Shields made it 2-0, 4 minutes later when RYAN CARR received the ball just outside the area and hit his shot into the bottom left corner of the goal. The shot was fast and precise and left Heslin with no chance of getting too it. This game was already going to be a tough ask for Synners and 2 goals in 8 minutes exacerbated the situation. Synners 0, 2 North Shields.

Heslin made an impressive save soon after to prevent Shields from going 3 ahead. Cameron Cunningham hit a shot from outside the area and Heslin was down to make the save. He parried the ball out wide but Connor Campbell was there to have a follow up effort from a few yards out. Heslin was up to make a second stop in a matter of seconds.

A good passing move from Synners created an opportunity for Danny Boyle to have a shot on goal. Boyle caught sight of goal from around 30 yards out and hit an ambitious effort that ended up going wide of the left post.

Any hope Synners had was soon flattened as RYAN CARR scored his second of the half to put Shields 3-0 up. A low ball was hit into the 6 yards box and Carr was there with an outstretched leg to hit the ball home. Synners went into the break 3-0 down and had an uphill battle in the second half.

Half-time: Synners 0, North Shields 3

There was an opportunity for Synners to get a goal early in the second half when Slater took the ball past a number of Shields players and hit a long range effort that cannoned against the face of the post. Synners were looking for an early goal to give themselves a fighting chance in the second half.

Shields had a 4th goal in the 57th minute when Cameron Cunningham played CHRIS SALMON clear from inside his own half. Salmon raced towards the box with Bruton giving chase, but the Shields player was able to take his time in front of Heslin before slotting the ball underneath the keeper. Synners 0, 4 North Shields.

Some strong attacking play from Connor Campbell saw him stay on his feet in the box despite challenges from Synners players. There was a quick passing move between Campbell, Robinson and Carr which resulted in RYAN CARR grabbing a hattrick after smashing the ball past Heslin from a few yards out. Synners 0, 5 North Shields.

There was time for Shields to grab a 6th goal, when a Crossfield ball was played to CAMERON CUNNINGHAM, who cut into the box and hit a shot past Heslin. It was a disappointing night for Synners, but they came up against a tough outfit. They will be looking to continue their impressive league form on Saturday when they play Bedlington Terriers away.

Full-time: Synners 0, North Shields 6

Referee: Mr J Cann, Assistants: J Brown, K Corrigan.

Attendance: 107

by James McDonald