Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Newcastle University

Match Report 25/9/19
Billingham Synthonia 4, Newcastle University 3

Brooks Mileson Memorial Northern League Cup Group A

Billingham Synthonia: Orton, Garton (c), Dobie, Smith (Bligh), Bashir, Popple, Wilson,Dickson, Slater, Boyle (O'Connor), Bruton. Unused Sub; Dunn.
Newcastle University: Avery, Redford, Curton, Hunter (Christie), Dutton, Brakewell, Hammett (Shaftoe), Long, Scott, Alambritis (Browne), Bennett. Unused Subs; Atkin, Douglas.

Synners were back in League Cup action on Wednesday evening, with Newcastle University the visitors. After back-to-back wins against Wolviston and Chester-le-Street, Synners were looking to make it 3 on the bounce and continue their impressive form.

The first half was a dominant performance from the home team. Within the first minute Alex Bruton won a freekick on the right side of play. Slater played a short freekick to Bruton who carried the ball across the 18 yard line before hitting a shot just over the bar.

It only took Synthonia 5 minutes to get themselves in front. Harvey Dickson picked up the ball inside his own half, and played a low through ball to BRANDON SLATER which carved the defence wide open. Slater was through on goal immediately and managed to hit the shot past Avery, despite the goalkeeper's efforts of pushing the shot over the bar. The keeper didn't get the connection he wanted and the ball bounced into an empty net. Synners 1, 0 Newcastle University.

Alex Bruton showed good composure and skill in the middle of the field, and created chances for Wilson out wide. In one particular attack, Bruton created space for himself to fire a shot on goal from around 20 yards. The goalkeeper was able to save the effort, but Bruton's speed and footwork was proving to be too much for the away team.

In the 26th minute Newcastle University got themselves level after the referee adjudged Popple of fouling LEE SCOTT following a set-piece. As the ball was floated in, the defender nudges Scott in the back as he was preparing to jump for the header. It was the number 9 who took the penalty and hit it to Orton's right. The keeper dived the correct way and even managed to get a hand on the shot, but it was hit with too much power to be stopped. Synners 1, 1 Newcastle University.

Synners continued to create chances in the search of a second goal to re-take the lead. Matthew Wilson appeared to have been fouled during a promising looking attack. While there were some appeals from the Synners players, Alex Bruton continued possession and forced his way into the box before hitting a shot that was saved by the goalkeeper.

It was a half that the home team dominated, but a refereeing decision meant that Newcastle were going in level at the break.

Half-time: Synners 1, Newcastle University 1

The away side came out refreshed from half time, and started the second period of the game on the front foot. After a couple of early chances, Newcastle got themselves in front in the 49th minute when LEFTERIS ALAMBRITIS rifled a shot from just inside the box that nestled in the far corner of the Synners goal. Synners 1, 2 Newcastle University.

The away side continued to dominate the opening moments of the half, creating more chances to extend their lead. A corner delivered into the penalty area was hit on the volley by Josh Hammett but his effort went just wide of the post. Shortly after this Benjamin Long seemed to dribble the ball past the Synners defence with ease before hitting a hard shot that was saved well by Orton from close distance.

After a solid period for Newcastle, Synners defence was breached once more in the 67th minute after Josh Hammett was brought down in the box. The foul looked like a collision between the attacker and a couple of Synners defenders. LEE SCOTT stepped up again but his penalty was saved by Orton this time. Despite the impressive stop, Scott was first to react to the second ball which was parried down the centre of the box. Scott hit the ball into an open net and give the away side a two goal lead. Synners 1, 3 Newcastle University.

Inspired substitutions by Dave Dickson turned out to be the difference between the two sides in the end. Immediately after Scott scored the penalty, A STRIKER was on the receiving end of a cross into the box and headed the ball into the ground and past the Newcastle keeper. 

In the 73rd minute, Brandon Slater created an opportunity out of nothing, when he fizzed a low ball into the 6 yard box from the by-line. A STRIKER made a quick burst to the front post before stabbing his shot past Avery. The strikers second goal in 5 minutes made for an exciting finish to the game with momentum on Synners side. Synners 3-3 Newcastle University.

A late counter-attacking move from Synners finalised the comeback and give the home side a hard- fought win. Brandon Slater won the ball following a Newcastle attack and ran towards the oppositions half with Bruton and Bligh ahead of him. He played Bruton in who was about to release a shot from the edge of the area before a defender was able to get back and make a challenge. Unfortunately for Newcastle the ball was played straight to TOM BLIGH on the edge of the area who smashed his effort straight into the top left corner of the goal.

The importance of this win was clear to see in the celebrations. Synners will be looking to extend their unbeaten run when they play Crook Town at home on Saturday.

Full-time: Synners 4, Newcastle University 3

Referee: Mr B Brooks, Assistants: A Cook, F Malton.

Attendance: 78

by James McDonald