Match Report

Whitehaven vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 31/8/19
Whitehaven Amateur 0, Billingham Synthonia 9

Buildbase FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round

Whitehaven Amateur: Fowler, Hetherington (c), Dylan McAlone, Watson (Bunting), Coulter, Pears, Mossop, Teasdale (Cohen McAlone), Dryden, Goulding, Fyfe. 
Billingham Synthonia: Orton, Garton (c), Popple, Dickson (Dobie), McHarg (Smith), Cobain, Wilson, Boyle (O'Connor), Travers, Slater, Bruton. Unused Subs: Heslin, Nyamayaro 

Saturday's game against Whitehaven was a 9 goal thriller, with all the goals being scored by one side. It was the first qualifying round of the FA Vase and Synners are hoping for a good run in the competition this year.

There was almost an early goal when Danny Boyle was on the receiving end of a cross into the box to header home. Unfortunately for the away team, the linesman flag was up for offside and the goal was ruled out. Moments later Alex Bruton was fouled on the edge of the area but the resulting freekick was hit straight into the wall.

Synthonia dominated the opening moments of the game creating chance after chance and controlling possession.

In the 8th minute Synners dominance paid off when BRANDON SLATER was played through on goal and found himself with just the keeper to beat. The striker hit the ball past the keeper to make it 1- 0. With the goal coming so early in the game Synthonia were able to relax and control the game going forward. Whitehaven 0,1 Synners.

The away team continued to control the game restricting Whitehaven to a couple of half chances that came to nothing. Travers attempted to play a ball into the box but the defender cleared it only as far as Bruton on the edge of the area. The attacker got his shot off but hit it straight at the keeper.

Synners were not just dominating possession but were also playing some impressive football and showing their ability to be diverse when attacking. An example of this was when Bruton and Wilson played a one-two to take it round the defender just outside the box. Bruton got a shot off that was saved well.

In the 30th minute ALEX BRUTON doubled the score for Synners. The attacker controlled the ball just inside the area and fired it into the top right corner of the goal. The goalkeeper didn't stand a chance of saving the effort and Synthonia were taking the most of their opportunities. Whitehaven 0,2 Synners.

A rare Whitehaven attack lead to Synners 3rd goal of the game. A clearance turned into a long through ball for LIAM TRAVERS who was running through on goal under no pressure from 40 yards. The striker carried the ball into the box before slotting the ball past the keeper with ease. Whitehaven 0,3 Synners.

Just before half time Synners were awarded a penalty after Alex Bruton was fouled in the box. There wasn't much argument from the home side as the penalty decision was an easy one to make. DANNY BOYLE stepped up to take the penalty who hit the ball into the left corner of the goal. Synthonia went into half time with a 4-0 lead and confidence to get more in the second half.

Half-time: Whitehaven Amateur 0, Synners 4

The second half began the same as the first with the away side taking control of the game early on. Synners were determined to make a statement of intent to the rest of the teams in the tournament.

An early defensive mistake allowed ALEX BRUTON in to make it 5-0 early in the half. The keeper rushed out to close Bruton down but hesitated, allowing the striker to take his time and hit a well placed shot past the goalkeeper. Whitehaven 0,5 Synners

After Synners continued the dominate the game, they soon made it 6-0 after BRANDON SLATER ran onto a clever flick and smashed it past Fowler. This goal meant that Synners had two players in Bruton and Slater looking for a hat-trick, and both will have felt confident in a game full of chances. Whitehaven 0,6 Synners.

Whitehaven were beginning to get frustrated with the lack of opportunities and saw one of their few chances of the half hit over the bar. A goal now would surely only be a consolation but Synners defence were showing no signs of complacency.

The 7th goal of the game came from an impressive run by MATTHEW WILSON. The striker picked the ball up in his own half and made a run towards the Whitehaven box. Wilson was unchallenged and found himself one-on-one with the keeper before slotting the ball into the net. Whitehaven heads had dropped and Synners were taking the most of their chances. Whitehaven 0,7 Synners.

Synthonia found time to add two more goals to the score line. In the 69th minute it was MATTHEW WILSON again who switched the ball onto his left foot before hitting a precise shot into the top left corner from 25 yards. This was before LIAM TRAVERS smashed the ball past the keeper in the 82 nd minute to make the final score 9-0.

Synners will be hoping to take confidence from this performance into their next league game against Willington on Saturday. The 2nd qualifying round will be at home against Knaresborough Town on the 14th September.

Full-time: Whitehaven Amateur 0, Synners 9

Referee: Mr C Miles

Attendance: 55

by James McDonald

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube