Match Report

Willington vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 1/2/2020
Willington 0, Billingham Synthonia 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Willington: Robinson, Taylor, Hart, Wren, Elgie (C), Lawlor, Lee, Ruddy (Cummings), Gash, Storey (Forster), Bailey. Unused Subs: Burns, Smith, Suddick.
Billingham Synthonia: Orton, Salmon, Garton (C), McCardle (O'Connor), Joseph, Carling, Wilson (Bashir), Boyle, Earl, Dickinson (Bligh), Bruton. Unused Subs; Evans, Myers.

Saturdays game against Willington was a windy affair, with not much to report on in the first half. It was Bailey who had the first chance of the game for the home side, but blazed his effort well over the crossbar.

Willington found an opening once more but once again the effort was squandered as it was smashed well wide of the left post. The first goal of the game almost came from a mistake at the back from Tom Orton. Orton rushed off his line to clear the ball, but hesitated slightly, letting the ball bobble past him on a questionable surface. McCardle was there to clear the ball away from danger.

A long range effort from Lawlor troubled Orton as the ball bounced off his chest and into danger. Orton leapt to clear the ball away from the oncoming attacker, and once more the chance eluded Willington.

Despite the early Willington chances, it was perhaps Alex Bruton who came closest in the first half when he rattled the post with an effort inside the box. Bruton stole the ball from the defender and progressed his way into the penalty area. Bruton unleased a shot but the post was there to rescue a stranded Robinson.

Half-time: Willington 0, Synners 0

The first chance of the second half fell to Synners when Matty Wilson almost scored an absolute screamer of a volley. Danny Earl turned provider this time when crossing into the penalty area. Wilson was well positioned 15 yards from goal and smashed a volley which cannoned off the crossbar. The keeper didn't stand a chance and we almost got the first goal of the game in some style.

Synners controlled the second period and Alex Bruton came close once again to grabbing his first goal of the game. He received the pass just outside the box and controlled with a clever touch which took him into the penalty area. Bruton unleashed an effort which was saved well by Robinson.

The game looked like it had 0-0 written all over it, that was until Tom Bligh came on and made a significant impact. Bligh won a penalty for Synners just moments after he stepped foot on the grass. He was on the receiving end of a Matty Wilson pass but was brought down before he could get there. Danny Earl stepped up to take the penalty but missed to the shock of the away fans. Matty Wilson was alert enough to react, and whipped the ball straight back into the area. DANNY BOYLE was in the box to head home and make it 1-0 to Synners.

The away side grabbed a second in the closing moments when ALEX BRUTON chipped the keeper after being played through on goal. The Willington defence were deflated after the first goal, and Bruton took full advantage.

Full-time: Willington 0, Synners 2

Referee: B Law, Assistants: L Brown, J Raper.

Attendance: 65

by James McDonald

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube