Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Heaton Stannington

Match Report 8/1/20
Billingham Synthonia 0, Heaton Stannington 3

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Orton, Salmon, Garton (C), O'Connor (Black), Carling, Lovatt, Bligh (Wilson), Boyle (Sakouvogui), Earl, Dickinson, Bruton. Unused Subs; Myers, Rowe-Gill.
Heaton Stannington: Regan, Simpson, Sayer, Ray, Hall, Bailey (C), Burns (R Paterson), Charmey, Wright (Baxter), Wilson (Feilder), Kerridge. Unused Subs; M Paterson, Imray.

Synners faced promotion rivals Heaton Stannington last Wednesday and looked promising in the opening moments as a Tom Bligh run down the right flank resulted in a corner. Bligh took the resulting corner and found Matty Lovatt who headed on effort from the edge of the box but the keeper was able to catch.

Bligh was up to the challenge that evening and looked extremely dangerous on the ball. He created the next Synners attack with some clever footwork, flicking the ball over the defenders leg before playing a ball out wide to Chris Salmon. Salmon whipped a pass across the field to Alex Bruton who mishit his effort which sailed well wide.

The home side came agonisingly close to taking the lead when Dom O'connor was perceived to have been fouled in the Heaton penalty box. The referee waved away the appeals as Chris Dickinson picked up possession around 10 yards out from goal and looked certain to bury his effort, if it wasn't for a smart save by Regan.

Moments later, Alex Bruton had appeared to smash Synners in front after receiving a return pass from a corner. Bruton hit the ball towards the keepers near post which beat Regan to his initial frustration. Before Bruton could celebrate the referee had blown his whistle for an offside decision awarded by the assistant.

Heaton Stannington capitalised on missed chances by Synners as they took the lead on the stroke of half-time. A counter-attack saw Wright bursting down the left wing and played a ball into the 6 yard box where LEWIS BURNS was waiting to slide the ball into an empty net. Synners 0, 1 Heaton Stannington.

Half-time: Synners 0, Heaton Stannington 1

The second-half was one of few chances but it was Heaton who took theirs once again. Wright and Burns linked up once again down the right-hand side with Burns playing a dangerous ball into the penalty area. The chance had seemed to pass them by initially but JOSEPH KERRIDGE was waiting on the far side of the box to slot home and double Heaton's lead. Synners 0, 2 Heaton Stannington.

Fielder came off the bench for the away side and made an immediate impact after showing some impressive footwork to take the ball past a number of Synners players. He played the ball out to JONATHAN WRIGHT who hit a curling effort from 25 yards which beat Orton and sealed the win. Synners 0, 3 Heaton Stannington.

It was a win and a clean sheet for the away side as Synners failed to pull a goal back.

Full-time: Synners 0, Heaton Stannington 3

Referee: Mr G Mann, Assistants: C Donnelly, I Enderwick.

Attendance: 67

by James McDonald

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube