Match Report

Washington vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 16/11/19
Washington 0, Billingham Synthonia 5

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Washington: Lumsden, Gibbon, Horsfall (Pye), Leech, Colquhoun, Hutchinson (C), Hanson, Lilley, (Dobinson), McGeoch, Salicki, Broomfield (Sloan). Unused Subs: Quine, Lumsden
Billingham Synthonia: Orton, Garrity, Myers, Garton (C) (Slater), Carling, Cobain (Bashir), Salmon, Boyle (O'Connor), Earl, Dickinson, Bruton. Unused Subs; Bligh, Dobie.

Due to poor weather conditions it has been a full 2 weeks since Synners last played, the last game was a forgettable 2-0 defeat away to Jarrow. Since then there have been some new faces come into the squad, all of which started the game against Washington.

The first-half was one of few memorable chances with both teams failing to break the deadlock before the break. The first good chance of the game came from the home side after Jak Hanson was on the receiving end of a clever ball played out wide. Hanson made a promising looking run down the right side before placing a dangerous looking ball into the 6 yard box. Thankfully for Synners, Orton was alert and in position to clear the ball away from danger.

Washington were awarded a freekick moments later after Lewis McGeoch claimed he had been brought down by Ellis Bashir near the edge of the area. It certainly appeared from a spectators point of view that the striker was in fact all over Bashir, with no real foul taking place. The freekick was hit by McGeoch who tried playing a clever ball into the front post but once again the attack was cleared.

It didn't take long for the new-look Synners team to gel. Midway through the opening half, the away side began to create chances. Chris Dickinson played a pass across the 18 yard line to Danny Earl who's clever touch set Chris Salmon up who hit his shot from the edge of the box. The keeper was on his toes and made a smart save down to his right side.

It didn't take long for Synners to come close once more, after a clever move involving Boyle, Earl and Dickinson resulted in the number 10 hitting an effort which cannoned off the crossbar. Not only was Dickinson under pressure from two Washington defenders, but he was also hitting the ball on the bounce and still managed to come close.

Half-time: Washington 0, Synners 0

Synners controlled the majority of the first half but couldn't convert the chances they created. With new signings recently arriving, everyone at Synners was confident that the goals would soon come and they were right.

After Synners had a half of adjusting to the new additions, they began to create more fluent attacks and were devastating up top. Early pressure finally resulted in a penalty after Bruton made a jinxing run into the box and was finally brought down just inside the area. DANNY EARL stepped up with the perfect chance of getting his first Synners goal on his debut. The striker made no mistake and smashed the ball into the bottom left of the goal. The keeper guessed right but the shot had to much power for Lumsden to handle. Washington 0, 1 Synners.

Earl's opening goal opened up the floodgates, as a second was scored almost immediately after the restart. A corner whipped in by debutant Ben Garrity was lashed home after ELLIS BASHIR performed his best impression of Massimo Maccarone, leaping like a salmon and thundering the ball home with an acrobatic diving header. Washington 0, 2 Synners.

25 minutes into the second half and Synners had their third of the evening. DANNY EARL latched onto a through-ball which played him in down the right side of the box. The striker continued to smash his shot across the keeper and into the far corner. Washington's defence had fallen apart and Synners were taking full advantage of improving their goal-difference. Washington 0, 3 Synners.

There was time for DANNY EARL to complete his hat-trick after Alex Bruton kept his composure on the edge of the box and played the ball back across the penalty. The striker was picked out perfectly and composed himself before making a difficult finish look easy when placing the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal. Washington 0, 4 Synners.

The game was wrapped up by BRANDON SLATER who raced through on goal after a lackadaisical Washington defence was carved open once more. Slater had plenty of time to position the ball onto his right foot before curling an effort into the bottom right from the outskirts of the box.

It was a dominating second-half performance from Synners who look like a serious threat going forward. With hopes that weather conditions don't interfere, Synners are in action against Redcar Athletic in the EA Cup next Wednesday.

Full-time: Washington 0, Synners 5

Referee: T Jukes, Assistants: I Frostwick, J Henderson.

Attendance: 105

by James McDonald