Match Report

Jarrow vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 19/10/19
Jarrow 2, Billingham Synthonia 0

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Jarrow: Wells, Smith, Elliot, Donnelly, Mellish (C), Gray, Bone, Allen, McBryde, Evans, Hutchinson (Hetherington). Unused Subs; Toward, McMann, Malley, McGee.
Billingham Synthonia: Orton (C), Popple (Bashir), Myers (Bligh), O'Connor (Bashir), Oakley, Cobain, Slater, Smith, Boyle, Bruton. Unused Subs; Heslin, Gowan.

Synners remain on the brink of an automatic promotion place and just need a consistent run to elevate them higher in the league. Saturday's opponents are also in a similar position, as Jarrow only sat one point behind Synthonia going into the game.

Synners began the game strongly and Bruton had an early opportunity to fire them into the lead. An over the top ball was unintentionally flicked on by the head of a Jarrow defender which played Bruton in on goal. The attacker made a direct run into the box and fired a shot just before backtracking defenders could make a challenge. The shot was hit with a lot of power but the goalkeeper was able to make a smart stop.

Synthonia were the stronger team for the opening period of the game, they looked the most likely to grab an early goal in the half. However, complacency in the 18th minute saw Jonathan Evans intercept a misplaced pass near the Synners box and continued to play the ball to Kai Elliot who had made an advancing run down the left hand side. Elliot took the ball to the by-line and hit a low cross into the 6 yard area where LIAM MCBRYDE lunged forward to direct the ball into the net from a few yards out. The goal would prove to be a turning point in the game and the home side took control of the rest of the half. Jarrow 1-0 Synners.

Another mistake, this time coming from Josh Smith when he attempted to play a pass across the Synners defence. The ball was intercepted by David Smith and he looked to make his way into the box but was fouled just outside the area. Phil Gray hit the resulting freekick straight at the wall and the ball was cleared.

In the 41st minute Jarrow were able to double their lead through LIAM MCBRYDE. The striker received the ball on the edge of the area after the ball deflected off Popple and fell kindly for the number 9. Within two touches he was able to get the ball out of his feat and hit a curling effort that sailed into the far left corner of the goal. Orton was routed to the spot and Jarrow took a 2 goal lead going in at half time. Jarrow 2-0 Synners.

Half-time: Jarrow 2, Synners 0

Football is a game of two halves, but in this case both halves told a similar story. Synners had a couple of chances but overall it was Jarrow who dominated the remainder of the game. Albeit, it was an early chance for Synners that might have sparked some initial optimism. Slater played a ball to a teammate who cleverly flicked the ball across his body to Bruton who made a run into the box. Bruton cut inside and hit a right footed shot that was saved by Wells. The goalkeeper was out straight away and spread his body to stop the effort.

Jarrow looked as though they were implementing their game plan to perfection and Synners looked to cause a late upset by bringing Tom Bligh off the bench. Bligh made a positive impact, drawing defenders into fouls and having a couple of efforts at goal. After avoiding challenges just outside the area Bligh hit a long range effort that was saved well. The shot looked dangerous at first, but Wells was able to watch it all the way.

Jarrow were able to see out their 2 goal lead and even came close to adding a couple more before full time. Kai Elliot was played through by a ball down the left hand side. Elliot controlled the ball near the touchline and carried the ball into the area, under very little pressure from the Synners defence. The player hit his shot from just inside the box and Heslin was down at his near post to save well.

A final opportunity for Jarrow came when Lee Hetherington flicked the ball around Bashir and played Kai Elliot in on goal once again. Elliot received the ball from around 30 yards out and advanced into the box. After placing the ball on his left foot he hit the shot from a difficult angle and the ball flashed past the far post.

Once again, Synners were close to taking themselves into a promotion place but was unable to get the definitive win. Synthonia remain only 1 point behind 4th place and they have a game in hand on Heaton Stannington.

Full-time: Jarrow 2, Synners 0

Referee: Mr E Culling , Assistants: M Baston, J Whitfield.

Attendance: 82