Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Willington

Match Report 7/9/19
Billingham Synthonia 1, Willington 0

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Orton, Garton(c), Popple, Dickson (O'Connor), McHarg, Cobain, Wilson (Smith), Boyle, Travers, Slater, Bruton (Dobie). Unused subs: Heslin, Dunn.
Willington: Proctor, Marshall, Seymour, Wren, Lawlor, Elgie(c), Bailey, Burns, Gash, Davis, Suddick. Subs: Cummings, Manuel, Marquis, Ruddy, Claydon.

Saturday's game against Willington was another opportunity for Synners to show they can compete with teams at the top end of the table. Willington were coming into the game after winning 5 of their last 7 league games with the intentions of continuing their impressive start.

It was a controlled game with both teams enjoying possession of the ball in the early minutes. Almost a third of the way through the half, an attempted pass back to the Willington goal keeper was intercepted by Travers. The striker took the ball into the box but a sliding challenge prevented Travers from getting a shot on goal. The initial misplaced pass from the defender was perhaps a weakness that Synthonia would look to take advantage of.

The resulting corner was hit low across the box and Bruton was on the receiving end to hit a promising looking effort from a few yards out. The keeper was down low to make an impressive save and kept the score at 0-0.

It wasn't long until Willington carved out their own chance at the opposite end. A display of good footwork allowed the number 7 to make his way into the box. The attacker attempted to play a ball into the 6 yard box, with the hopes that a teammate would be there to poke home. The home defence dealt with the attack comfortably and cleared the ball before it could find a Willington player.

In the 28th minute an acrobatic effort from Travers was hit just wide of the post. A long throw from Popple was controlled by the chest of Travers. In the same movement he attempted a bicycle kick in an audacious attempt to get the first goal of the game. With both teams creating chances and having good periods on the ball, it was clear that the first goal was a crucial one in this game.

Toward the end of the half Bruton carved out a couple of promising opportunities for Synners to take the lead. The attacker used his pace to burst down the left hand side of the pitch beating a couple of Willington players to the ball. Bruton took the ball into the box, switching the ball between both feet before finally releasing an effort that was cleared wide for a corner.

The last promising attack of the half came after a clever turn from Bruton near the corner flag. He continued to hit a low ball that fizzed across the 6 yard box and only required the slightest of touches to direct it into the goal. However, no one was in a position to do so and a good chance went begging.

Half-time: Synners 0, Willington 0

The beginning of the second half involved two great chances for Willington to take an early lead. Shortly after kick off Bailey flicked the ball over the defenders head before releasing a shot inside the box. Orton was equal to the effort and saved what looked like a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Moments later a Willington corner was cleared only to the edge of the area. An away player mishit a shot from just outside the box which fell kindly to Burns just yards out from goal. The defender tried to play the ball over the top of Orton, but fortunately for Synners the ball was also hit over bar. The Willington players were clearly frustrated after missing two great chances early in the half and were hoping it wouldn't come back to haunt them.

There was a period in the half were refereeing decisions seemed to course a stir between both sides. Both teams felt as though some decisions against them were harsh and was affecting the flow of the game. One of those decision going against slater when he cleverly turned a Willington defender on the by-line on the left of the pitch. The referee adjudged slater of fouling the defender during the movement - a decision the was somewhat disagreed with by many of the spectators.

The period of frustration soon passed as the referee got the game under control. This paved way for another promising home attack orchestrated by Bruton. Synners number 11 played a grounded ball through the middle of the pitch and Travers beat the offside trap to take himself one-on-one with the keeper. As Travers was getting himself in a position to release an effort, his touch let him down and he lost control of the ball. The keeper was out fast and was able to shield the ball from Travers which killed the attack. This was Synners best chance of the game so far, and Travers looked certain to take his time and beat the keeper.

In the 79th minute that all important goal finally came. MATTY WILSON received a pass just inside the box on the right hand side of the area. The keeper was out to close the angle but Wilson placed the ball onto his left foot before curling an effort into the far corner of the goal. The celebrations of the Synthonia players highlighted the importance of the goal, especially with it coming so late in the game.

The last 10 minutes were nervy as Synners were looking to take three points from a team in the top 4. Willington created a coupe of opportunities to draw level but the Synners defence was equal to the attacking threat.

In the last remaining minutes Willington missed what was perhaps their best chance of the game. A ball played to the back post was pulled back by Burns who found Suddick in space and just a few yards from goal. The striker took the chance on the volley but missed the goal completely and was left with his head in his hands. Although it was a difficult technique, The away side looked certain to draw level.

Full-time: Synners 1, Willington 0

Referee: Mr K McKitterick, Assistants: R Bird, M Heath.

Attendance: 116

by James McDonald

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube