Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Ryton & Crawcrook Albion

Match Report 21/8/19
Billingham Synthonia 0, Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Heslin, Garton(c), Dobie, Dickson, Joseph (McHarg), Cobain, Popple (Gowan), Boyle, Travers, Slater (Dunn), Bruton. Subs not used; Anderson, Orton. 
Ryton & Crawcrook Albion: Hansen, Stephenson, Moody (Dobson), Turnbull, Shepherd, Davis, Outterside (Thompson), Dunn, Jasper (c), Cooper, Norris (Hodgson). Subs not used; Barker, Anderson. 

The game against Ryton was an opportunity for Synthonia to make a statement against the team sitting 2nd in the league. The home team were coming into this game with momentum after their 1-0 win against Durham City. Watching the game were the players and their parents from Synthonia's academy. The game was a great opportunity for them to get an insight of what to expect as a first team player. The Academy has been incorporated into the club's vision as a way of helping young players develop their career and education. We hope those invited enjoyed the occasion.

The game began with Synthonia very much on the front foot. An early attack saw the ball squared across the 6 yard box with Travers on the receiving end. The shot from the striker was hit over the bar and a good opportunity was missed. Shortly after a great piece of skill from Alex Bruton lead to another promising attack. A long ball was played to Bruton, who let the ball bounce over both him and the defender. The attacker then picked up the ball and ran down the left hand side of the pitch. The ball was eventually crossed but the resulting header was off target.

Midway through the first half and Synthonia could have been a couple of goals ahead. The home team were playing some good attacking football and they looked the better side early on.

Another chance for Synners came when a floating ball was crossed into the area. The cross found Bruton in good space and only a few yards out from the goal. The striker switched the ball onto his right foot but the effort went wide of the target. Following this Billingham had the opportunity to score from a free kick in the 28th minute. The freekick was hit over the wall but went narrowly wide of the post.

Despite the opportunities the home team had, it was perhaps Ryton who had the best chance of the half late on. A counter attacker resulted in Jamie Dunn forcing himself into the box before releasing a shot which rattled the post. The ball then fell kindly to Norris who hit a shot from just 8 yards out but Heslin made an excellent save to keep the score at 0-0.

Half-time: Synners 0, Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 0

The opening moments of the second half saw Ryton begin on the front foot. The away side came out refreshed from half time and made some good chances early on. In the 52nd minute Ryton were awarded a freekick 20 yards out from goal. Jack Cooper took the freekick but Heslin got down well to his left and pushed the effort wide.

Just moments later Synthonia had the best chance of the game to take the lead. Travers found himself through on goal, only to have his shot parried by the keeper. Directly from the save the ball fell to Slater who tried to place it in the bottom corner. Unfortunately the shot went just wide of the post, hitting the side netting.

Synthonia seemed to dominate most of the second half creating chances from open play as well as set pieces. Crosses into the box usually found an attacking player, but no one was able to turn the opportunities into goals.

In the 69th minute a goal finally came. But it wasn't from the team who dominated proceedings. Ryton won a corner just as we were approaching the last 20 minutes of the game. The corner was whipped across to the back post and JAMIE DUNN was there to meet it. The player got up well and headed the ball into the back of the net. The goal certainly came against the run of play but Ryton took their chance well.

After the goal was conceded Billingham struggled to find a way back into the game. Missed chances earlier on proved to be costly and it was a psychological blow for the home side.

Ryton were working hard to get a second goal and finish the game. The away team piled pressure on the Billingham defence and eventually got their rewards. In the 85th minute JACK COOPER hit a shot from the edge of the box which flew into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal. Heslin, who had made a couple of impressive saves already was unable to keep out this effort.

Ryton were able to control the remaining minutes of the game keeping Synthonia at bay and maintaining a clean sheet. Once again, Synners showed a lot of promise going forward but missed opportunities cost them the game.

Full-time: Synners 0, Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 2

Referee: Mr M Studholme, Assistants: I Enderwick, C Thurlow.

Attendance: 122

by James McDonald

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube