Match Report

Durham City vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 17/8/19
Durham City 0, Billingham Synthonia 1

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Durham City: Smallman, Thirlaway, DY Kehi, Thomas, DD Kehi (Masandi), Jatta, McArdle, Banki (Whelan), Chapman(C), Wymer, Nicholson. Subs not used; Butler, Thompson, Brooks. 
Billingham Synthonia: Orton (Heslin), Garton(c), Dobie, Dickson, Cobain, Joseph, Bligh (Wilson), Boyle, Slater (Popple), Noble, Bruton. Subs not used; Anderson, Dunn. 

Billingham kicked off their second consecutive away match looking for their first win on the road. They come up against a Durham City team that were still on the search for their first points of the season.

Durham began the game on the front foot after creating a great opportunity within the opening minutes. Durham's Anthony McArdle played his way into the box and squared the ball to Chapman after taking it past Orton. Chapman had time to hit his shot into an open goal but fired the effort over the crossbar. The early chance forced a reaction from Billingham who came close to a goal soon after. An attack from Synthonia resulted in Ryan Noble creating space for himself on the edge of the Durham box but his effort fell the wrong side of the post.

The home side thought they had taken the lead in the 25th minute but the goal was ruled out after the assistant flagged for offside. This decision from the officials may have distracted Durham, as moments later Synners took the lead. In the 29th minute ALEX BRUTON picked up the ball from 25 yards out and hit the ball into the bottom left-hand corner of the goal. It's a third goal for Bruton who has proved to be a key player at this early stage of the season. Durham City 0-1 Synners.

The last 15 minutes of the second half consisted of Durham trying to find a way back into the game. Some solid defending from the Billingham defence denied the away team an equaliser. The determination of City did see them create good chances before the break. A dangerous cross into the box fell to Kehi who looked sure to score. After controlling the ball the player fired the shot over the cross-bar.

Synners had an opportunity to increase their lead going into the break when Alex Bruton won a freekick just before half time. The freekick was on target but the keeper dealt with the attempt. The half time whistle came only seconds later with Billingham deservedly winning by a goal to nil.

Half-time: Durham City 0, Synners 1

The second half began with Durham looking to get an early equaliser. They were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position but Orton made a smart save. Moments later a long ball found Ellis Wymer who was running through on goal. The player was unable to get onto the end of the ball as Orton was out fast to make a clearance. After dealing with the early pressure Billingham began to gain control of the game.

Midway through the half Bruton received the ball on the left hand side of play and attempted to play a ball into the box. The ball was potentially blocked by a Durham hand but the penalty appeals from the Billingham players were dismissed. Shortly after, some good play in the box between Bruton and Wilson almost gave Synners a 2 goal lead. Wilson found himself just 6 yards out from goal but his attempt was saved impressively.

More opportunities came Synthonias way in the second half but they were unable to extend their lead. Just before the final whistle Bruton almost found himself one-on-one with the keeper but he lost control of the ball and Smallman was able to gather.

The full time whistle went with Billingham coming out convincing winners. They were able to see out the game without conceding and will go into next week's game full of confidence after creating so many promising opportunities.

Full-time: Durham City 0, Synners 1

Referee: Mr M Karvounis, Assistants: R Ashton, R Denton.

Attendance: 68

by James McDonald

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube