Match Report

Carlisle City vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 13/8/19
Carlisle City 4, Billingham Synthonia 3

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Carlisle City: Townsley, Potts (Studholme), Bradbury, Kirkup, Allison, Seggie, Palmer (Irving), Simpson(c), McCartney, Armstrong (White), Atkinson. Subs not used; Douglas, Shiel. 
Billingham Synthonia: Orton(c), Boyle, Dobie, Dickson, Cobain, McHarg (Joseph), Bligh (Popple), Thompson, Slater, Smith (Anderson), Bruton. Sub not used; Heslin. 

Billingham were looking to get the beginning of this season back on track with a win against Carlisle City. The game was a great advert for the division as the game ended up a 7 goal thriller.

The game got off to a fast start with both teams creating chances early on to take the lead. In the 5th minute it was Synthonia's turn to spring a promising attack when Alex Bruton made an impressive run from his own half. Bruton was approaching the 25 yard mark when he played the ball wide to Tom Bligh. Bligh got a promising looking cross into the penalty area but the Carlisle defence were able to clear. When another big chance went begging for Carlisle only moments later it was clear to see this was going to be an end-to-end game. Ben Palmer laid off Ryan Potts who put a dangerous ball into the box. The ball fell to Robert McCartney who skied his shot over the bar. It was a great opportunity but the score remained at 0-0.

Almost a third of the way into the first half and the deadlock was broken. In the 13th minute a Carlisle corner was hit into a dangerous area of the Billingham box. The last touch of the ball came from HARVEY DICKSON who put the ball over his own goal line. Carlisle 1-0 Billingham.

The character of the away side was clear to see when they found a way to fire level just moments later. In the 17th minute ALEX BRUTON was brought down in a dangerous area just outside the box. The resulting free-kick was taken by Bruton who rifled the ball home from around 25 yards out. The Carlisle goal had clearly sparked a positive reaction from the away team, which will serve them well throughout the course of the season. Carlisle 1-1 Billingham.

Early goals from both teams had well and truly opened up the floodgates and made for an entertaining first half. The next goal came in just the 20th minute when a Carlisle attack saw a ball put into the box which was headed home by AARON BRADBURY. The Carlisle man found himself in acres of space at the back post when the ball came in. The ball was headed under no pressure into the back of the net and Synthonia will have been disappointed with the goal. Carlisle 2-1 Billingham.

In the 28th minute Billingham found themselves falling on the wrong side of fortune once again. A penalty decision was awarded to City after Aaron Bradbury was brought down in the box by Tom Orton. Bradbury was through on goal when the Billingham keeper rushed out to win the ball. The resulting penalty was fired home by KYLE ARMSTRONG who hit a low hard penalty to the goalkeepers left. City now had a 2 goal lead against Synners as we approached the last third of the half. Carlisle 3-1 Billingham.

Billingham created promising attacks in an attempt to get themselves back into the game before half time. The away side were thwarted by good defending and offside decisions made by the officials. However, late into the second half Billingham's persistence was rewarded. In the 42nd minute Ben Palmer was challenged in the area with the home team claiming their man had won the ball. Even the referee initially pointed for a corner until the linesman flagged for a penalty. After consultation among the officials the final decision was to award a penalty to the away side. DANNY BOYLE stepped up to score from the spot and successfully did so to net his third goal of the season. Carlisle 3-2 Billingham.

Synners came close in the final moments of the first half to draw level but the score remained at 3-2. The half time whistle went with Billingham only one goal behind and still in the game.

Half-time: Carlisle City 3, Synners 2

Both teams began the second half with the intentions of getting an early goal. However, it was Carlisle who extended their lead when AARON BRADBURY chipped the ball over the oncoming goalkeeper in just the 47th minute. Bradbury forced his way into the box and got the goal after a clever finish. Carlisle 4-2 Billingham.

Despite losing a goal early in the second half Billingham remained positive and fought to get there way back into the game. Bruton once again made a convincing run toward the Carlisle back line who resorted to fouling the attacker as a way of preventing an opportunity. The resulting free kick was crossed into the box but no one was able to get on the end of it. The ball almost found its way into the far corner of the goal but narrowly missed the post.

The latter end of the second half seemed to be dominated by Billingham free kicks, as Carlisle struggled with the attacking pace of the away side. In the 69th minute Bligh latched onto the end of a ball over the top but was brought down quickly. The freekick was taken by Harry Thompson who stepped up but hit the ball straight down the middle of the goal and was caught by Townsley. Shortly after, it was Jordan Dobie's turn to try and carve out an opportunity who found himself on the edge of the penalty area. As he looked to release the ball he was brought down by a late reckless challenge that saw Carlisle's David Seggie booked. The freekick was hit into the wall and cleared away from goal.

As the half progressed Billingham grew in confidence and their attacking momentum became greater. Carlisle looked concerned at the back and maybe should have conceded a penalty in the 72nd minute. As the ball was played into the box it seemed as though Boyle had been pushed in the back as he attempted to jump for the ball. The penalty appeal was waved away to the frustration of the away team. In the same movement the ball fell to Nathan Cobain who rifled the ball from just inside the box. The keeper arrived to the shot late but was just able to parry the ball onto the bottom of the crossbar and was cleared away from goal.

As the game was approaching the final moments it looked as though Billingham's effort would not be rewarded. That was until a freekick was awarded to the away team just on the edge of the area in the 85th minute. Billingham freekicks had been a main feature throughout the game and the away team were looking to make this one count. Once again, ALEX BRUTONtook the responsibility on and was right to do so. The player hit the ball over the wall and to the bottom right of the goalkeeper. The goal brought Synners back into the game and within touching distance of Carlisle. Carlisle 4-3 Billingham.

Billingham had one last chance to draw level. In the 94th minute a freekick was awarded 30 yards out from the Carlisle goal. The ball was delivered into the area but was cleared by the City defence. The referee blew for the full-time whistle as Billingham fell to a harsh defeat.

Full-time: Carlisle City 4, Synners 3

Referee: Mr M Morton, Assistants: M Studholme, S Henry.

Attendance: 79

by James McDonald

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube