Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Redcar Athletic

Match Report 10/8/19
Billingham Synthonia 1, Redcar Athletic 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Orton(c), Boyle, Dobie, Dickson (Bashir), Cobain, McHarg (Popple), Slater, Thompson, Noble (Wilson), Smith, Bligh. Subs not used; Joseph, Anderson. 
Redcar Athletic: Simpson, Readman, Farrington, Rivis, Bivens, Browne, Woodhouse(c), Wood, Preston, Webster, Melvin. Subs; Carmichael, Young, Jackson, Skelton. 

Billingham were coming into this game against Redcar Athletic on the back of a 1-1 draw with Sunderland West End. Billingham were looking to take all 3 points on this occasion with a strong performance at home.

The game started with Redcar on the front foot. The away team created a number of chances early on but none found the back of the net.

In the 6th minute of the game Billingham appeared to take the lead after the ball was headed across goal and into the net. The goal was ruled out for an apparent push in the back which was somewhat contested against by some of the fans and players. The disappointment of having a goal disallowed didn't last long. Billingham settled into the game early on and in the 11th minute the ball fell to BRANDON SLATER who smashed the ball into the roof of the net from just inside the box. Billingham 1-0 Redcar.

The early goal served as a wakeup call to the away team. In the 18th minute Redcar threatened to draw level when a floating ball was played to the back post of the Billingham goal, only for the striker to head the effort wide. Unable to play themselves around the home defence, Redcar were relying on shots from outside the box. In the 34th Minute Redcar's Joseph Melvin had an effort from around 20 yards out, only to see his shot narrowly miss the post.

A first half penalty shout had home supporters holding their breath when Farrington claimed to have been brought down by Tom Orton after being put through on goal. However the referee dismissed the appeal and instead gave a defensive freekick for an offside decision against Redcar.

After keeping Redcar at bay Billingham also carved out opportunities for themselves. In the 40th minute Tom Bligh turned sharply on the halfway line and made a darting run toward the Redcar defence. The attack broke down but Billingham were demonstrating there ability to create good chances as well as keeping out the goals.

Shortly before half time Redcar's Adam Preston was put through on goal but Orton was straight out to close him down and put him under pressure. The fast thinking from the goalkeeper forced Preston to fire a quick shot that just sailed wide of the post.

After taking the lead Billingham Synthonia were organised at the back which prevented the away team from getting themselves level.

Half-time: Synners 1, Redcar Athletic 0

The second half began in a similar fashion to the first. Redcar were on the front foot creating good chances but once again none of them were converted. In the 60th minute Billingham had their best attack of the half when a fantastic ball was played down the line to Slater who dribbled the ball down the right flank before delivering a precise ball into a dangerous area. Unfortunately there was no one in a position to have an effort on goal and the score remained 1-0.

In the 63rd minute Redcar finally found their way past the Billingham Defence. There was a stroke of luck with the goal as the initial effort from ADAM PRESTON was saved by the Billingham goalkeeper. The ball ricoshed off the goalkeeper and fell nicely for the striker who simply slipped the ball into an open goal. Billingham 1-1 Redcar.

The Synners reacted positively and tried to get themselves back in the lead as soon as possible. In the 68th minute Matthew Wilson who came on to replace Ryan Noble, showed some impressive footwork on the edge of the box before playing the ball into the penalty area. The resulting shot was sent over the bar, but the effort gave the home team momentum.

A refereeing decision which changed the shape of the game came in the 72nd minute when Harry Thompson was shown a straight red card after the referee adjudged the player of using excessive force when sliding into a challenge. With Billingham down to 10 men this gave Redcar a psychological boost for the rest of the game.

Redcar Town were determined to make the most of their one man advantage by putting the Billingham goal under constant pressure for the last period of the game.

After being resolute throughout the majority of the second half Billingham finally succumbed. A Redcar clearance fortunately falls for Redcar's ADAM PRESTON which put him straight through on goal. The striker took it round Orton and once again played the ball into an empty net. The goal came in the 95th minute and came seconds before the final whistle.

A strong Billingham performance almost saw out a strong Redcar albeit for two fortunate goals.

Full-time: Synners 1, Redcar Athletic 2

Referee: Mr S Thorburn, Assistants: J Arrowsmith, M Hobson.

Attendance: 76

by James McDonald

Match highlights from SynnersTV on YouTube