Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Ryhope Colliery Welfare

Match Report: 31/10/18
Billingham Synthonia 1, Ryhope CW 1
Ryhope CW win 4-3 on penalties

Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup 2nd Round

Billingham Synthonia: Roberts(c), O'Hara, Joynes, O'Connor, Watson, Frazer, Gnaglo (Abdullahi (Pollock), Raby, McCardle, Hannah (Johnston), Bligh. Subs not used; Younger, Heslin. 
Ryhope CW: Ball, Nicholson, Woods (Shaw), Riding(c), Walker, Trewick, Kane, Weirs (Ellis), Rae, Pickford, Bird. Subs not used; Cocks, Atkinson, Ellison. 

Synners named a young squad against Ryhope with eight under 19's included and took their first division opponents to a penalty shoot-out.

An early chance for the visitors saw them denied by a Callum Roberts save with his legs before long range efforts from both teams saw both keepers come out on top. Synners then had a good chance as Anth McCardle picked out Kallum Hannah who shot just wide.

It was Billingham who took a half time lead in the 43rd minute when substitute Ibby Abdullahi sent a ball through from the left for KALLUM HANNAH who finished well with his shot.

Half-time: Synners 1, Ryhope CW 0

Ryhope levelled the tie up in the 48th minute as Nicholas Kane played across goal from the right to MICKEY RAE who slid in to net from close range.

The visitors created chances to take the lead with a close range shot hitting the underside of the cross-bar and a rasping shot which Roberts was a match to with the save.

Synthonia had chances to win the game in added-on time as a Tom Bligh shot from the edge of the box was only inches over and then a Ben Pollock run on goal saw him square to Bligh who could only turn his shot over the bar.

Full-time: Synners 1, Ryhope CW 1

To penalty kicks and both keepers, Roberts for Billingham and ex-Synner Jonny Ball for Ryhope, came out on top with good saves over seven penalties each before Ryhope's Christopher Trewick secured his teams place in the next round.

Referee: Mr C Dean, Assistants: L Reynolds, O Hay.

Attendance: 64