Match Report

Billingham Synthonia vs Redcar Athletic

Match Report: 19/4/19
Billingham Synthonia 5, Redcar Athletic 5

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Billingham Synthonia: Roberts, McCardle, Frazer, C Wilson (J Dunn), Weatherald, Garton, M Wilson, Pollock(c), Johnson, Smith (C Dunn), Bruton. Subs not used; Gowan, Heslin, Dalton. 
Redcar Athletic: Lawrence, Cooper (Eglington), Farrington, Woodhouse, Bennett, Browne, Redman, Skelton(c) (Lance), Preston, Rivis, Webster (Carmichael). Sub not used; Simpkin. 

Synthonia had to settle for a point in a ten-goal Good Friday thriller with Redcar pinching an equaliser in the 8th minute of stoppage time.

It was Synners who drew first blood when in the 4th minute LOUIS JOHNSON raced in on goal and took the ball past the Redcar defence before coolly finishing past Will Lawrence in the Redcar goal. They had chances to double the lead as chances for Connor Smith went wide and a mazy run from Alex Bruton bringing a save out of Lawrence.

Redcar though, levelled the game up in the 23rd minute when Billingham failed to clear a free-kick and SAM WEBSTER shot home a loose ball. They then took the lead with a second goal after 31 minutes as a ball in from the left was met by LANCE SKELTON with a free header past Billingham keeper Callum Roberts.

In the 41st minute Billingham were denied by two saves from Lawrence and then were denied a penalty after Lawrence pushed Foster Garton in the box. The visitors then scored again to take a two-goal advantage going into the break when, in the 45th minute, a backpass to Roberts saw GARY REDMAN latch onto the ball and shoot home.

Half-time: Synners 1, Redcar Athletic 3

Synthonia were soon back in the game as a great 49th minute run from LOUIS JOHNSON at goal saw him go past the Redcar defence and finishing with aplomb past Lawrence. Billingham then levelled the game up in the 68th minute when ALEX BRUTON ghosted past the Athletic defence with the ball and found the net with his shot.

Synners took the lead in the 85th minute when a pinpoint cross from the left from substitute Curtis Dunn was met by a bullet header from LOUIS JOHNSON to give the striker his hat-trick.

Two goals in two minutes looked like the scoring was complete as firstly Redcar levelled in the 88th minute when ADAM PRESTON shot home a cross from the left. Less than sixty seconds later and Synthonia regained the lead with a ball forward to ALEX BRUTON seeing the winger lift the ball over Lawrence and in.

Eight minutes into added-on time after the ninety in a game with few stoppages, Redcar gained a free-kick when a forward backed into Synners defender Nico Weatherald and went to ground. ADAM PRESTON saw his free-kick breach the Synners wall and squirm under Roberts and into the net to leave the game all square.

Full-time: Synners 5, Redcar Athletic 5

Referee: Mr M Andrews, Assistants: J Davison, V Davison.

Attendance: 173