Match Report

Willington vs Billingham Synthonia

Match Report: 8/9/18
Willington 2, Billingham Synthonia 2

Ebac Northern League Division 2

Willington: L Graham, Shields, Taylor, Lazonby(c), Miner, Smith, Williamson (Wren), Ruddy (Bromley), Thexton, Moffat (Winter), Plews. Subs not used; G Graham, Hannant. 
Billingham Synthonia: Roberts, Tiffany, Jaques (Reader), O'Connor, Grier, Frazer, Howes, Pollock(c), Weatherald, Hannah (Watson), Wilson (Gnaglo). Subs not used; Raby, Heslin. 

Synners made it four games unbeaten with a dramatic injury time equaliser despite playing much of the game with nine men against ten-men Willington after three sending-offs.

The first half saw the hosts denied by Billingham keeper Callum Roberts who tipped a Dean Thexton effort onto the cross-bar. For Synthonia, Clark Reader found space in the box but was thwarted by the out-stretched leg of keeper Lewis Graham.

The sending-offs happened in the 34th minute when, following a challenge from Billingham's Nico Weatherald, a fracas ensued. Referee Mr Ross spoke with his assistants and dismissed Willington's Lewis Milner and Synners' Ryan Grier, although many believe a case of mistaken identity in both cases had occured. Weatherald was then shown a straight red, probably for the initial challenge.

Half-time: Willington 0, Synners 0

Back to the football and after a Kallum Hannah shot was saved and then a Hannah overhead kick went just wide, it was the hosts who broke the deadlock with a goal in the 70th minute as DEAN THEXTON slotted home a shot from inside the box. Synthonia never let their numerical disadvantage show and levelled the game up on 80 minutes when a KALLUM HANNAH free-kick on the edge of the box nestled into the bottom left corner of the net.

Willington re-gained the lead in the 86th minute when ex-Synner CONOR WINTER got on the end of a right wing corner to head home. Two minutes into added-on time and Billingham earned a point when a pin-point ball forward from James Frazer found Ben Pollock to the right of goal. His shot was saved by Graham, but KALLUM HANNAH was on hand to fire in the loose ball.

Full-time: Willington 2, Synners 2

Referee: Mr T Ross Assistants: I Enderwick, J P Gatenby.

Attendance: 103